Friday, 15 February 2013

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver

Summary: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
So basically, I really loved this book. To the point where I'm not really sure what to say about it, meaning this review will probably not be very good or do the book justice.

In the beginning, I did not like Sam or her friends - they started out so awful, but somehow Lauren Oliver managed to turn that around and actually made me care about them (even when I didn't necessarily like them or forgive the bad stuff they said or did).

I like that she didn't have them magically turn into perfect people, she just showed that people are complicated; they can do terrible things and nice things. She showed that being good and bad aren't mutually exclusive, everyone is capable of both, and sometimes even terrible things aren't done with the intention of really hurting people, it's just that some people don't see that their actions can have consequences until it's too late.

Basically, I loved the way the characters were written - Rob was the only character who wasn't particularly well written (or maybe he was intentionally made that way, because as shallow and void of personality as he seemed, there are actually people like that in the world). Kent was lovely, and I really liked Juliet and Sam's little sister too.

I love stories that explore how everything is connected--how our actions, and the actions of other people, can all tangle together creating this big web and how messing with one strand can have a ripple effect on the whole, even little things can matter in big ways we can't predict--and this book showed that really well.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with the ending of the book and I obviously can't say much about that without spoiling it but...yeah, the way the book ended...kdjfbvlkdjbvj - that pretty much sums it up.

I thought it was going to be predictable when I started the book but as I read more I found myself doubting what I thought was going to happen--hoping that some things would happen while others wouldn't--so even though parts of the story did turn out just as I expected them to, it didn't feel predictable.

And that's about all that I can think to say without spoiling the whole story. I'd rate the book 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. I think I had basically the same reaction as you to this book. I didn't like the cover but it kept getting such good reviews that I decided to check it out and then I fell in love but was upset by the ending because I wanted something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean :) The ending just kills me too, but the whole book is so phenomenal, it's hard to hate any part of it. Lauren Oliver's writing is so beautiful as well. At the end *SOB*, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved Before I Fall. when i first started reading it it was tough. and i didn't think i would like the book overall. i was so wrong. i couldn't put the book down! it's one of my favorites and is so different from other YA novels that i've read! i'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.