Monday, 4 February 2013

The Secret Circle: The Initiation by L J Smith

The Secret Circle: The Initiation
by L J Smith


Summary: Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie longs for her old life. Even so, she feels a strange kinship to a terrifying group of teens who seem to rule her school. Initiated into the coven of witches that's controlled New Salem for hundreds of years, she's drawn into the Secret Circle, a thrill that's both intoxicating and deadly. But when she falls for the mysterious and intriguing Adam, Cassie must choose whether to resist temptation or risk dark forces to get what she wants—even if it means that one wrong move could ultimately destroy her.
So, pretty much the only reason I read this book was because I liked the TV show (it wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining and I wish it hadn't got cancelled). The book was very different from the show -- I was entertained while reading it but I wouldn't really say it's a good book.

I didn't like the writing, it's that really mediocre sort of writing style that isn't distinctive in any way and gets annoying because it has excessive physical descriptions and that sort of thing. Honestly, the physical descriptions in the book were a bit much - the way Cassie describes the female characters, particularly Diana, it seemed more like she was a lesbian in love with Diana than straight and in love with a guy (actually, I think I may have preferred that, she had way more chemistry with her and with Faye).

Which leads to my next point: the romance. It was insta-love at its very, very worst. She literally spends less than half an hour with this guy and then she's saying she's in love with him - now, it's about witches, so maybe there's some supernatural type reason for their connection (there is in the show) but it doesn't really cover that in the book (at least not the first book, maybe the second will bring it up).

All of the relationships Cassie has in the book are very poorly formed, her friendships happen too quickly too. She claims she loves Diana (like a sister/as a friend) really, really quickly, sometimes she comes across as a little bit obsessed with her, it was all very tell instead of show most of the time.

I dunno...I don't have much to say about the book. I don't really like the characters or the writing and the plot isn't anything special either - but it was entertaining and a quick read and I did enjoy reading it so I do intend to read the rest of the series (or, at least the rest of the series written by L J Smith before a ghost writer took over).

I'd rate it 2.5 stars out of 5 (3 if I'm being generous), because even if most of what I can think to say about the book is negative, for me to still enjoy it and want to continue with the series in spite of that, there must be something good about it.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.