Friday, 15 February 2013

Undone Blog Tour: Interview with Cat Clarke

Undone
by Cat Clarke


Summary: Jem Halliday is in love with her gay best friend. Not exactly ideal, but she's learning to live with it.

Then the unspeakable happens. Kai is outed online ... and he kills himself.

Jem knows nothing she can say or do will bring him back. But she wants to know who was responsible. And she wants to take them down.
I loved the book (and her other books, especially Entangled) You can read my review of Undone here. To enter to win a copy, just fill out the form below - I'm going to choose two winners (one from me, one from the publisher), so there'll be one UK winner and one international (so long as The Book Depository delivers to where you are):
Contest closed.
Now, onto the interview with Cat:


One of my favourite things about your books is how you have a talent for subverting the whole "good" vs. "bad" character types and showing the shades of gray in humanity. You make me care about characters that, in most books, are normally portrayed as very stereotypically bad to the point where it becomes impossible sympathise with them, and you have the good characters do bad things without making me hate them. I was wondering how you come up with your characters and if making them realistic like that comes naturally or is it something you need to deliberately plan and work on to get them just right?

Thank you so much. It’s definitely something I’m interested in exploring – that it’s very rare to find people who are 100% good or 100% bad. I’m fascinated by the idea of supposedly ‘good’ people doing bad things, and supposedly ‘bad’ people doing good things. Having said that, I don’t deliberately set out to write certain sorts of characters – they just seem to turn out that way! I hope to create characters that are believable, even if the reader won’t necessarily like them. I don’t think you have to like a character in order for you to be interested in them and desperate to find out how their story unfolds.

You're one of those authors that has the simultaneously awesome and awful ability to make me feel like my emotions have been put through a shredder when I've finished reading one of your books. Is it as painful for you to write them as it is for your readers to read them and which book/scene has been the hardest for you to write so far?

Some scenes are painful to write. There’s a certain scene in the woods in TORN that made me feel nauseous, and there’s one in the book I’m working on at the moment that was truly horrible to write. I felt anxious all day and actually winced as I wrote some of the lines! I don’t think I’ve actually managed to make myself cry though – still, it’s nice to have something still to aim for!

Your books so far have all tackled serious issues. Do you intentionally choose that sort of subject matter or do you go with whatever idea inspires you the most no matter what it's about?

I don’t intentionally choose to tackle certain issues – it’s all down to the story I want to tell. Serious issues do have a tendency to crop up in my writing though. I’m not entirely sure why!

What are the three best books that you've read recently that you would recommend?

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

If you could have a dinner party with any three fictional characters or authors (living or dead), who would you choose and why?

Peregrin Took, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings. If there’s one thing Hobbits know how to do (and do well), it’s eating and drinking. We would have a huuuuge feast and my Hobbity pals would regale me with tales of their epic quest.

So many movies and TV shows being made now seem to be based on books. How would you feel about your books being adapted into movies/TV shows?

Kfasreghosiglijglsdijglojdi!!!!! - That would pretty much sum up my feelings if this ever happened to me. I would be absolutely thrilled, and probably a little bit scared too. Sometimes I daydream about it.

Thank you so much for having me on your lovely blog!

You can read more about Cat and her books on her website. :)

Later.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.