Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Pieces by Michelle Davidson Argyl

This book is a sequel to The Breakaway...I don't think the review or even the summary is particularly spoiler-y, but yeah.
Pieces
by Michelle Davidson Argyl

Summary: Staying in love can mean running away...

Two years after watching her kidnappers go to prison, Naomi Jensen is still in love with one of them. Jesse will be released in a few years, and Naomi knows college is the perfect distraction while she waits. But when her new friend Finn makes her question what is right and what is wrong, she begins to wonder if Jesse is the one for her...until she discovers he's out on parole. Naomi must sort through her confusion to figure out where love and freedom truly lie-in Finn, who has no connections to her past, or Jesse, who has just asked her to run away with him.

This book is an odd one. It's one of those books that keeps me hooked and I can read it cover-to-cover in one sitting, and it'll keep me entertained in that time...but it doesn't leave much of an impression on me (seriously, I literally finished it a few hours ago and feel nothing about it, the only reason I'm thinking about it now is so I can get some reviews scheduled). It wasn't even making much of an impression on me while I was reading it.

That sounds bad, doesn't it? But the thing is, it's not really (and, I've seen a bunch of reviews rated 5 stars so my feelings--or lack-of--are definitely not universal). I know that I'm not going to love every book that I read and not every book will have an impact on me.

Reading books like this...it feels like watching a movie that maybe isn't the best movie--or the worst--but it keeps you amused for a few hours so you don't regret spending your time on it.

I had issues with the first book, it was kind of underwhelming, and I really can't tell if I liked this one more or less than the first.

The main character annoyed me for a lot of the book. I think it's less an issue with how she's written though, and more about just the kind of character that she is. She tells a guy she just wants to be friends, because she has a boyfriend, which is fine but her actions don't match up to her words (or her feelings) so even though she was upfront about being involved with someone else, it felt like she was stringing him along. And she's one of those characters that will take half the book to figure out something that is blatantly obvious to the reader and the other characters from the start. Some of her issues are understandable given what she went through and she does grow as a character, and I liked her in the end, but she's just one of those ones that is very...frustrating to read about.

The other characters... I don't have much to say about them. Finn was nice, her parents (and her issues with them) didn't feel quite as plot device-ish as they did in the first book, and Jesse - not really sure what I think of him.

The story was more interesting, I think, than the first book. I felt like the first book was lacking something and didn't measure up to other books about kidnapping that I've read, this one did something different because it was a book about the after of it all. I liked that it showed how haunted she still is by what happened to her and how it changed her, in both good ways and bad - like her cooking, Evelyn taught her to cook in the first book and it stuck with her and I like that little details like that were included.

I wish there had been more discussion in the book about Stockholm Syndrome. It was literally only mentioned twice in the whole book, nearer the end, and even then it was only in passing. It just feels like it's something that should've been mentioned more, either in therapy, or in her own thoughts (wondering if what she was feeling was "Real Love" or just SS), or even by the characters who just find out about her past. She mentions that she's known as the girl who fell in love with her kidnapper - maybe it's just me, but when I hear that, I instantly think Stockholm Syndrome but no one seems to even imply that. Even when it's mentioned in the book, it felt like it was talking about the other characters and not Jesse. And that just...I wish it was discussed more.

The second half of the book was where the story started to hook me. I knew how it was going to turn out, because the plot was pretty predictable, but it was still entertaining reading it all happening. And this review is getting quite long and rambling.

I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars, like the first one. I will probably have forgot I even read the book by tomorrow, but there is definitely something good about a book that can have me read it in one sitting (while I'm in a reading funk).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. The story was more interesting, I think, than the first book. I felt like the first book was lacking something and didn't measure up to other books about kidnapping that I've read, this one did something different because it was a book about the after of it all. Overall is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.