Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Book Jar

One of my most annoying flaws (and by that, I mean flaws that annoy me about myself--there's probably a multitude of flaws I have that annoy other people) is that I can be ridiculously indecisive.

I'll be in the mood to watch a movie, but I can't choose which one to watch. So I don't watch any.

Or be in the mood to write, so I'll wander through my Idea Graveyard folder and choose some novel outlines I want to work on...but I'll open up about 6 of them and scroll through what I've got to work with so far and then I'll still be sitting there an hour later not knowing what to choose. So I just procrastinate on tumblr or something instead and end up not writing anything at all.

And I do the exact same thing with books.

I find myself really wanting to read but not knowing what to read, and I stand in front of my shelves and there's just so many books to choose from that it's like...like 100 people trying to get through a doorway at the same time and they just get stuck in the doorway and none get through. The easy solution is for them to walk through it one-by-one but it's just not happening. It's a really ridiculous thing to do, it's not that difficult to choose a book and just read the damn thing, but fvdkjvbldkjbv. Sometimes, I do not make sense and this problem is an example of those times.

I've whined about being in a reading funk before, so I won't do that again, but this indecisiveness is always especially annoying when I'm in reading funk mode (like I am now).

And all this rambling is basically to say I'm going to try this book jar thing. A booktuber I'm subscribed to is doing this and it looked fun and like it could be a solution to my inability to ChooseADamnBook! So...yeah.

Basically, you get a jar and you fill it with pieces of paper, and on those pieces of paper you write down your TBR books and you use the jar to choose what book you're going to read next. 

I've made two jars, the first is a jar for sequels (for if I've read at least the first book in the series and own the next one/the rest of the series). If I own more than one sequel from the series, I just wrote down the series name for each book in the series I
own, that way I wouldn't pick out book 4 before I've read book 3 or something, I just pick out the series title and read whichever book is next for me.

The second jar is basically just everything else; it has everything from childrens to adult books (most are YA though) and it has a bunch of genres. Normally I'm a mood reader, so that should be interesting.

I haven't included every book I own, just the ones from my main TBR bookcase (I have another two; one has mostly classics on it, the other is books I've considered getting rid of/I'm not as interested in reading anymore but I will still give them a try at some point). I own a lot of e-books too, it would've taken me forever to write all those down so if I ever include those in this challenge, I probably won't make a jar, I'll just use a random number generator to choose or something.

I'll start by just choosing one sequel a month and two from the other jar. Ones for this month:


Sequel: Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty (Jessica Darling series #2)
Other: Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and Remembrance by Michelle Madow

...This post has been way more rambling than necessary, sorry (another one of those annoying flaws I have that probably annoys other people as well as bugging the hell out of me).

Anyone else going to try this? Or have you done it before? And does anyone else have this same problem (where you want to read but don't know what to read, so you don't read anything)?

Later.


6 comments:

  1. I also have a hard time figuring out what to read next. Sometimes I wish I were one of those people who only has like 4 or 5 unread books rather than upwards of 150 in my apartment because it can take me FOREVER to choose what to read next, not to mention overwhelming. While I think I'm probably too lazy to write out all of the titles and fold them up to make a Book Jar, I do have all my books cataloged on Goodreads, which assigns them a number. Sometimes I use Random Number Generator to select about three titles and then choose from those based on what I'm in the mood for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have TOTALLY done this in the past! However, I did it a little bit differently. Instead of picking out a few each month, I would write down the titles of all the books I got from the Library, and then I would draw out the names to decide what order I would read them in. :)

    I did it for awhile but I eventually gave up on it because I was always checking out new books and I realized that knowing exactly what was next on my reading list made me less excited to read. I've found that the best way for me to decide what to read is to just pick something based on my mood. I always have a wide variety of genres available so I can mix and match. I tend to read a dystopian, then a contemporary, then a mystery, then another contemporary, etc. That way I don't get burnt out on one genre! At least that's what works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a mood reader too, so that'll be the hardest part of this jar thing for me--if I pick something I'm not in the mood to read then I could have some issues. =P

      But, I kind of have too many books to choose the way you do. For pretty much any genre I'm in the mood for, I will probably be able to find at least 10 books that fit that description and then I can't choose between them.

      Delete
  3. That's such a cute idea! I haven't ever thought of something like it! Choosing a book is so hard.. this would definitely help :)

    -Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this idea... I'm such a mood reader too, but like you, I can never choose a book to read and then I end up just reading nothing! If this idea works for you maybe I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I made the original book jar to cheer myself up after my laptop died and then suddenly loads of people were making them and oh my word, it has been AMAZING to see what everyone is doing with the idea! Have fun with your picks - I'm about to pick my fourth choice from mine and you can see how I'm doing on my blog, Alex in Leeds.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.