Monday, 6 May 2013

Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting

Dead Silence
by Kimberley Derting

Summary: Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.
I really adore this series, but this book wasn't my favourite. It wasn't bad, it's just - well, my opinion of the book kind of depends on whether this is the last book or not. I've read that it is, but I'm not sure if that's definitely true yet. I'm going to have to split it into two reviews to really explain my thoughts:

If it was not the final book: I really liked it. I'd rate it 3.5/4 stars out of 5.

It wasn't quite as gripping as the previous books in the series had been, but it was still good. The whole body finding plot was starting to feel a bit repetetive in this one, and I wish that maybe there was something new done with her power instead of following the same kind of formula as the other books in the series had. I wish that the whole working with the team thing had been explored more too, because it felt like she wasn't really working with them, they were just there for her to call to help deal with things she stumbled across on her own.

Enjoyed the writing. Still really liked the characters, just not as much as I did in the other books.

The romance...well, the whole Violet/Jay thing used to be really sweet and they made sense and I believed that they were best friends and I was rooting for them but in this one it was pretty...bland. And it was made worse by the whole Rafe thing. The romance was something I really liked about this series, because it was cute and it was subtle and it took a backseat to the plot but it just wasn't as good as it had been in the other books.

I think that's my problem with this book: It was good, and the things that I liked were all still present but they just felt...less than they had in the rest of the series and some of the things that were great before started to seem kind of repetetive/monotonous.

If it is the last book in the series: 3 stars out of 5 (maybe a bit less).

All of the above stuff is still true, but the reason my opinion of it lowers if it is the final book is just that it didn't feel like it was the last book, it felt more like a filler book that was still setting up for a sequel.

As a final book, it was pretty disappointing. It introduced things that felt like they were rushed or thrown in there to conveniently resolve certain things (I can't really explain without spoilers). And there was a little detail thrown in at the end that felt a bit cliff hanger-ish and really not necessary if it really is the last book (unless the author intentionally did that to leave room for more books if she wanted to continue).

And if this was the final book then I like the romance aspect much less. The way it ended with the Rafe thing...I can accept that not being explored properly, but what it was hinting at in the end was just really, really disappointing (again, trying not to give spoilers) and was another thing that felt more like it was done because it was convenient. I just don't like the way the romantic relationships were handled in this book, especially if it's the last book and it was a bit of a let down because that was something that was done so well in the previous books.

...This review is probably a bit confusing. To sum up: I love the series and really recommend it, in spite of this book not quite living up to the expectations set by the first books. As the final book in the series the book was a bit - meh, but judging it as just part of the series instead of the end, it was still good.

I really hope there's another book and that this isn't the last one (although, I kind of dread that too because I'm not too into the direction some things in the book were heading).

Later.




2 comments:

  1. Oh man this sounds so disappointing! I can't remember if Kimberley Derting has said if it's the final book in the series yet, but if it is it sounds like it finishes of the series in a really unsatisfying way. I'm extra bummed that the romance has gone downhill! Ugh. LOVE TRIANGLES NEED TO JUST DIE ALREADY. :/

    Julia @ That Hapa Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not disappoint you though, this could just be my issue. =P

      From Kimberley's blog:

      "it's bittersweet because we're celebrating the end (probably!) of the Body Finder series."

      The "probably" does imply that there might maybe be more books, but I think, at least for now, it is intended as the last in the series.

      Don't let my review put you off, you might completely disagree with everything that I said here and it could meet/exceed your expectations.

      For me, it just seemed a bit repetetive and rushed, and more bland in a lot of areas than the previous books had been--I'm more accepting of a book being like that if it's a filler book, but not when it's the conclusion to a series.

      I actually wanted the love triangle to happen in this one, purely because it would add something different to the series that hadn't been done already in the previous books. If you hate love triangles, you might be more okay with how this one plays out than I was (I am trying to be vague and explain without spoilers--it's very frustrating). =P

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.