Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Drummer Girl by Bridget Tyler

Drummer Girl
by Bridget Tyler


Summary: It was supposed to be the summer of her life. Instead, 17-year-old Lucy finds her best friend Harper shot dead in an LA swimming pool. How did it come to this? Lucy Gosling is the drummer in Crush, a rock band formed by five London schoolgirls that has just won the UK semi-final of an international talent contest. But when the band lands in Hollywood for the big final, things are not quite as they seem. The band's lead singer, Harper, has just one thing on her mind - using sex, drugs and rock and roll, not to mention Crush itself, to win back her bad-news ex-boyfriend. Lucy must decide whether she's playing to Harper's tune, or setting the rhythm for the rest of the band.
So, normally I have an aversion to books like this, because books that have things like fame as a focus--they can often come across as so...superficial? And that annoys me so much, but I actually enjoyed reading this one.

It wasn't the most amazing book in the world, but it kept me hooked. It has alternating POV's (which, if you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll know that that is one of my pet peeves in books), and there were some characters who were less interesting than the others so I wasn't a big fan of their POV's being in there, but it didn't really have much of an impact on my overall opinion of the book.

The plot did get a bit soap opera-ish at times, especially nearer the end. I think this is a story I would've preferred watching instead of reading, and it didn't really get under my skin quite as much as it should've with the issues it covers--there are things that should've made me feel upset, but instead I really did just feel entertained, I didn't emotionally connect with what was going on in the story.

Lucy was my favourite character, she's the one who I liked the most and she frustrated me the least--with most of the other characters I kind of wanted to bop all of their heads together to knock some sense into them because they just kept making the dumbest choices and it's so obvious to the reader that they're being idiots but it takes them forever to really get that. I liked Lucy's attitude towards music too and she had the most interesting relationships in the book.

This review is sounding more negative than I meant it to. I think that's because I liked the book purely because it kept me entertained, I did want to keep reading to find out what happened but it didn't go much deeper than that. I'd rate the book 3 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.