Saturday, 22 June 2013

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

The Near Witch
by Victoria Schwab

Summary: The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger-a boy who seems to fade like smoke-appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi's need to know-about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.
So, I pretty much loved this book. I don't have a lot to say about it really. It was well written and addictive, I loved the characters (mostly), the romance was sweet and subtle, and the story was just the right amount of creepy.

When I was younger, used to love Point Horror books and books like The Blair Witch Files--I loved that the feeling they gave me, not fear exactly, but the same sort of feeling I'd get when me and my friends would play in the woods and try to freak each other out with spooky stories.

The point: a big part of the reason I loved The Near Witch was because it reminded me of that feeling and made me feel nostalgic for the kinds of books I used to love when I was younger. The book was able to find this middle ground between the kind of stories I used to love (wonderfully creepy plot, like a ghost story you'd hear at Halloween) and the kind of stories that I love now  (YA, romance, lovely writing, great characters, etc.)--it was like the best of both worlds.

There's really only one thing I didn't like about the book, and that's the fact that Lexi did get a bit frustrating. So much of what went wrong could've been avoided if she had just told people certain things instead of lying pointlessly. It's really hard to explain what annoyed me about that properly without spoilers, so I'll just add the spoiler-y part to my goodreads review since the spoilers can be hidden from people that don't want to see.

This review isn't particularly good, because I really don't have very much to say about the book. I loved it. I loved it because of that nostalgic feeling and all the other reasons I mentioned. I'd rate it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.