Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Adorkable by Sarah Manning

Adorkable 
by Sarah Manning

Summary: Jeane Smith's a blogger, a dreamer, a dare-to-dreamer, a jumble sale queen, CEO of her own lifestyle brand and has half a million followers on twitter.

Michael Lee's a star of school, stage and playing field. A golden boy in a Jack Wills hoodie.

They have nothing in common but a pair of cheating exes. So why can't they stop snogging?
This book was...odd. Not so much in its content (although, sometimes that too), more in the way it won me over. I went into it expecting it to be a cliché, cutesy, predictable high school romance novel (not a bad thing, I was craving a book like that) and it really exceeded my expectations.

It started out kind of blah and pretty much as I expected it to be. I wasn't expecting to love it, just to be entertained by it, and a few chapters in it seemed like that's what was going to happen. But then something changed along the way and I found myself really loving the story and loving the characters (even when I hated them) and loving the relationship between Michael and Jeane.

Jeane has an unusual life and she's equally weird to match it. Sometimes she really, really bugged me. She could be so nasty and judgemental, and it didn't match up with a lot of what she was preaching. But then she has little moments when it's impossible to hate her. And she's got a lot of good points too, she's opinionated (although sometimes to a fault), she's strong, she stands up for what she believes in, she's confident, funny, smart, generous, and she's kind of like a steel coated marshmallow--very snarky and cold at first, but actually kind of a total softy that loves kids and puppies and anything with a high sugar content deep down.

Basically, she was such an infuriating character at times but it was hard to hate her.

Michael was the perfect match for her, even though they shouldn't make sense, they kind of really did. He was just as flawed as she was, only in his own ways, and he managed to piss me off just as much sometimes. Jeane could be so loud and snarky that people are intimidated by her, but he stood up to her and gave as good as he got. Their romance was awesome because it's one of those rare ones in YA that isn't all insta-love and hearts and rainbows and butterflies. They argue a lot, and they hate each other to start with but then it morphs into something else and even in the end, when they're ready to acknowledge what they've become, that spark and the arguments are still there because it's them and it's part of why they work so well together.

What I'm trying to say is that I loved the characters, because they pissed me off but I still liked them anyway. And I loved the romance because it was something different than the usual romances I see floating around the YA shelves. And I loved that the characters changed without actually changing--like, they made mistakes, they learned from them and they changed into better versions of themselves without actually changing who they really are. All of this basically adds up to this: I loved the book.

There's a lot more I could say about the plot, and the use of social media in the story and all that stuff, but I'd probably get a bit too spoiler-y so I guess that's enough rambling for one review. I'd rate the book 4 stars out of 5. I really hope this whole books pleasantly surprising me thing continues.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.