But now, that pile of unfinished books has gotten so big and it's really starting to annoy me, and the whole starting books then leaving them unfinished for months (sometimes even years) has become a habit I really want to break.
With most of the books, it's not even that they're bad books, it's just I tried to read them at the wrong time or there was something I wanted to read more or something like that. Or some are just those kinds of books that you enjoy while you're reading them but they're easy to put down and forget about.
So I've decided to set myself a challenge to finish some of the books that are in my To Finish pile. I think I'll give myself a week to get through them, because there's other stuff I have to move on to after that.
These are the ones I'm going to try to finish (if the reviews show up on the blog, you'll know I succeeded):
1. Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing with Fire by Derek Landy - These books are cute and fun, and this is a recent one I put down and didn't pick back up, it mostly got put down because I wasn't in the mood for it.
2. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I love the mini-series, but with classic books I tend to be kind of bored by the writing in books like this, but because I already love the story I do really want to finish the book.
3. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - This book was pretty hyped up for me. A lot of reviewers that I trust said it was amazing and they threw it into the Melina Marchetta-type awesome category. I started it and read a few chapters and while the writing was good, I was just bored, so I put it down. I've wanted to pick it up again for ages but just...I didn't want to be bored again, but maybe it will pick up if I try again.
4. The Improper Life of Bezelia Grove - I think it was Stacey from ChapterChicks on youtube who recommended this one ages ago (years ago) and I remember reading it but I don't think I ever finished it, can't remember why.
5. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - Ah, Markus Zusak. His books seem to be frequent visitors of my To Finish pile. It took me more than a year to finish The Book Thief, and I loved it when I did but his books are just so easy put down and so difficult to pick up again.
6. Jessica Rules the Dark Side - I love the first book. I think I put this one down because it was just not even close to being as good as the first book, it lacked the spark the first one had.
7. Uglies by Scott Westerfield - Everyone seems to go on about how awesome this series is, and I'm not sure if I put this down because I was just underwhelmed by it or if it's because I'm so totally burned out on the dystopian genre, but it's annoying me that I've still not finished this one.
8. Wicked by Gregory Maguire - Desire to see the musical made me pick this up. It's not bad, it's just really slow paced...it drags a lot in the beginning and it was taking too long to get to the parts I wanted to read so I put it down and just haven't gone back to it.
9. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - Melina Marchetta loves this series. People who loved Melina's Lumatere Chronicles recommend this series. Apparently the second or third book are amazing but I need to finish this one first to get to those. The book wasn't bad, it just didn't hook me.
10. Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves - I loved Bleeding Violet (I think this is a companion novel), this one wasn't bad it just wasn't addictive like BV was so I put it down intending to pick it up again and just didn't.
Do any of you have this problem? Or do you just give up on books entirely if you can't finish them within a certain time frame? Which books are in your unfinished pile?