Monday, 5 August 2013

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief
by Megan Whalen Turner

Summary: The king's scholar, the magus, believes he knows the site of an ancient treasure. To attain it for his king, he needs a skillful thief, and he selects Gen from the king's prison. The magus is interested only in the thief's abilities.

What Gen is interested in is anyone's guess. Their journey toward the treasure is both dangerous and difficult, lightened only imperceptibly by the tales they tell of the old gods and goddesses.
So pretty much the only reason I read this book was because it was recommended by Melina Marchetta and by fans of Melina Marchetta, but I still wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

Some people had said the book is amazing, some said it wasn't very good but it was worth reading because the sequels are amazing...and my opinion of this one falls somewhere between those two, I can definitely see both sides.

There are elements of the book that are done really well. Like the characters, for example--that was my favourite thing of the whole book. Right from the start I loved Gen. He could be whiny and pathetic at times, but he was funny (especially when he was being whiny and pathetic) and he was smart and I dunno, I just really liked him. I liked the side characters too, although there wasn't many of them.

I think the thing that stops me from thinking the book is amazing is just that it dragged a lot. Half the time, there wasn't much going on and it was just the same thing over and over again and it got a bit monotonous to read...but it's also one of those books that has a reason for everything, and when you get to the end and all the reasons start clicking into place then you end up appreciating the stuff that seemed a bit boring in the rest of the book (kind of like what happened when I read Code Name Verity).

Basically, to sum up: I think I loved the book in the end. The characters were great, the relationships, the way the story came together--the only negative I can think of is that it is slow and can be a bit dull at times, but it's worth reading (and I can tell already that I'm probably going to love the rest of the series, because this one set it up so well). 

I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite books :) I read this one years ago and was so excited by the ending that I had to reread the whole book then and there so I could see how everything made sense. For me the book was so short that it was ok that some of it was slow, and I was in love with the mythological retellings and the authors twist on Greek mythology and culture. I haven't read any of the other books (shameful, I know), but I plan on getting to them soon! Great review! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the first book was slow, but the rest of the books in the series make it amazing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.