Thursday, 5 September 2013

All Our Yesterdays Blog Tour: An Interview with Cristin Terrill

 You guys don't know this yet, but I love All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. It has time travel, some genius storytelling, and two really independent perspectives. I fell in love with the characters and the story so when I was offered a spot on the tour, I took it. 

What's All Our Yesterdays about?

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

Super badass, right? So you see what I love it?  Well, here a little bit from Cristin too, see if she can win you over.

1. When time travel is involved, there's always a lot of science involved. How much time did you spend researching? Any particular sources that are especially good? Have you ACTUALLY figured out time travel?

Haha, I have NOT actually figured out time travel, thank goodness. (In fact, most scientists agree that time travel to the past is probably impossible, but we’ll just ignore that, as I did with lots of other aspects of the real life science of time travel). I’ve always been kind of a physics geek, so I didn’t have to do a lot of research outside of things I have already read. I did watch a lot of episodes of Through the Wormhole, various NOVA specials, and reread Brian Greene’s The Elegant Universe, all of which I’d recommend.

2. The book is in two different perspectives and, having read the book, it was incredibly well done. Was that difficult for you to find the right voice for both characters?

Em’s voice came to me pretty naturally, but Marina was a bit more of a struggle. Initially I wrote her as much sweeter, which just wasn’t working. It wasn’t until the second draft, after my agent gave me a realization about her, that I started writing her as a bit more of a mean girl with a hard shell protect that sweetness she hides inside. That’s when Marina came alive for me.

3. Usually, we ask authors for 5 books they recommend, but because time travel is something I love and it can be kinda hard to find, I'll separate this into 5 books you recommend and then 5 books that include time travel that you recommend? 

I was actually very careful not to read any time-travel books once I started writing ALL OUR YESTERDAYS so as not to be unconsciously influenced, so I have none to recommend!

As for general book recommendations, five series I love that I don’t think are as widely read as they deserve to be are the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, the Sabriel trilogy by Garth Nix, The Starcrossed series by Elizabeth Bunce, The Mysterious Benedict Society books by Trenton Lee Stewart, and the Finnikin of the Rock trilogy by Melina Marchetta.

4. What is one book that you wish you wrote?

There are so many! I just recently read The Dream Thieves, which is the sequel to The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, and I adore this series. I would love to have written it. Her use of language and her ability to create such vivid, complex characters amaze me.

5. Zombies or unicorns? Pirates or ninjas? Vampires or werewolves?

Unicorns, pirates, and vampires.

6. I totally loved All Our Yesterdays and I'm dying to read more of your writing. Can you share some of what's coming up for you?

ALL OUR YESTERDAYS #2! After that, your guess is as good as mine!

To further win you over, you can check our Cristin Terrill's website, twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads page, then you can go ahead and order your copy of the book on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or your favorite indie. Then, so you don't forget, you can add the book on Goodreads.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Its a lovely post. I liked it reading. And I enjoyed it also. Thanks. You keep sharing this type of post. It will be helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.