Friday, 20 September 2013

Carter Reed by Tijan

Carter Reed
by Tijan
Release date: September 30th


Summary: Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice to her. She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivaling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.

I guess I'll just start off simple: I loved this book. Really loved it.

I've been reading Tijan's stories online for a few years now (starting on fictionpress, then livejournal, and I think I've bought all of her books she's put up on Amazon too). I barely read any self-published authors but she is one of the ones that stop me from writing them off entirely. I think this may be my new favourite of hers. 

I sat down and planned on just reading a chapter or two but I couldn't stop reading it. Seriously, when I finished reading I realised it was about 10pm and I'd forgotten to eat dinner because I was too caught up in the story. It's been a while since a book has hooked me that much and literally kept me entertained from the first page to the last one (although the first chapter was difficult to read given the subject matter).

Tijan has a talent for writing bad boys that make me swoon and female main characters that I genuinely like who have weaknesses without ever really appearing weak, and Carter and Emma were perfect examples of that. And she writes great side characters too--I adored Mike, and Theresa and Noah made me laugh, and Amanda was lovely...am I gushing too much? Oops. 

There wasn't really anything I didn't like about the book, the only sort of negatives I can think of are that Carter's POV, although there's not much of it, felt unnecessary (not that it was bad), and one thing about the Mallory situation didn't make sense to me (knowing me, I probably just missed something), but even those didn't really bother me so they barely count as negatives.

But yeah, to sum up: I loved the characters, the romance made me smile, and the plot kept me hooked from first page to last. I have a weakness for mafia type romances and I think this one is a new favourite. 

I'd rate the book 5 stars out of 5.

(So I can't remember how Emma was described, but when reading, I pictured Carter as Mike Vogel/Garrett Hedlund/Stephen Amell and Emma as Nina Dobrev/Leighton Meester)

Later.

2 comments:

  1. great review. I'm ready to read it NOW. LOL. i love tijan books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh dived straight on Amazon & its not there yet *weeps*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.