Monday, 23 September 2013

The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines

The Vincent Boys
by Abbi Glines

Summary: Beau Vincent is rude, bad, and dangerous to know. So why can't good girl Ashton Gray keep away from him? She already has the perfect boyfriend - her town's local Prince Charming, Sawyer Vincent. But Sawyer is away for the summer, and in the meantime Ashton is bored, and the heat between her and Beau is undeniable - as well as irresistible. Ashton is about to unleash her bad girl - but what will she do when Sawyer comes home? And how will Sawyer react when he returns to find his girlfriend in the arms of his best friend - and cousin?
This book was pretty much a disappointment. It's one of those ones that I should have enjoyed because it has quite a few of my guilty pleasure cliches that I almost always enjoy reading about and the plot sounded like it would be fun, but the execution of it was just so...blah.

First of all, the writing didn't do much for me. It wasn't awful, but it had quite a few Southern American-isms that really bugged me (my annoyance at phonetically written accents is no secret, and while this one didn't have much of that except for a lot of "y'all"'s thrown in, it did have quite a few little phrases or weirdly worded sentences littered through the story that just made me twitchy to read). This, I suppose, probably wouldn't bother most people--it's just specific to me because it's one of my pet peeves (hell, most people probably wouldn't even notice it).

The dialogue was awful in some parts--it just didn't flow well at all, seemed forced and not like the kind of things people would say out loud in a conversation. It was basically like the dialogue versions of info-dumps and it was just clumsy and awkward and frustrating to read. It wasn't all bad, but when it was...*facepalm*

The pacing of the plot was kind of - off. It was too rushed in the beginning and the relationship between Ash and Beau wasn't as good as it could've been because of that.  They literally went from barely talking to each other in years to being all over each other in a day (not a spoiler really, because it happens within the first few chapters), there was no build up to it and being told they were friends three years ago didn't make me forgive that.

I mentioned in the beginning of this review that the book has quite a few cliches I enjoy, and one of those is the whole bad boy love interest thing but basically everything I enjoy reading about that was gone within like a couple of pages or non-existent (the summary described Beau as rude, bad, and dangerous--basically a bad boy, but in the actual book he wasn't, not even in the beginning aside from one drunk scene like one page long, and that wasn't him being a bad boy, that was just him being your stereotypical drunk teenage guy).

The characters ranged from infuriating to mind numbingly dull. Sadly, Ash was one of the infuriating ones--I just didn't like her, she handled situations so insanely badly and her thought process made me want to smack her with the book and I just didn't get why the guys were so obsessed with her because while the younger version of her sounded quite fun and interesting, the grown up version was just irritating and ridiculous.

And we weren't really shown much of why she would've stayed with Sawyer for so long or why she'd have gone out with him at all in the first place (seeing as he asked her out before she changed into the girl she is now--and because their relationship was so bland and lacking in spark it made it seem weird that she would've changed so much for him in the first place). As far as love triangles go, this one wasn't very good.

Really, Beau was the only character I genuinely liked, although nearer the end even he had moments of annoying idiocy. But in general, I liked him, and it was his character that made this book okay to read, and Ash was more tolerable around him.

The book was one of those ones that was easy to sit down and read in one sitting without being bored, but I never really enjoyed reading it and in the end I was more annoyed and disappointed than anything else, it was just totally bland and lacking the usual spark that these kind of romances usually have.

I hate writing negative reviews. FGkjkjbd. I'd rate it 1.5 stars out of 5 (I don't even have any desire to read the sequel, which is rare for me, even with books that didn't quite do it for me). Here are a few positive reviews if you want to read a different opinion: here, here, and here.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that you din't like this book. I'm thinking I'll take a pass on this one. Thank you for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.