Saturday, 21 September 2013

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

When Beauty Tamed the Beast
by Eloisa James

Summary: If only Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne hadn't been caught kissing that prince ... But now the ton believes Linnet to be with royal child - and therefore unmarriageable - so she might as well make her desperate father happy by consenting to wed a beast.

A brilliant surgeon with a reputation for losing his temper - and a wound believed to have left him ... incapable - Piers, Earl of Marchant, should welcome a bride-to-be carrying a ready-made, blue-blooded heir. But Piers isn't fooled by the lady's subterfuge, and though Linnet's devilishly smart and lovely, there will be no wedding of beauty to beast.

Still, Linnet finds the gorgeous brute intriguing. And it's obvious to the naked eye that 'incapable' does not mean 'uninterested'...
So I think this is my favourite of Eloisa James' fairytale retellings so far (I've read 3? Maybe 4?), I really loved it.

This is one of those rare romances where I genuinely love the couple together. Sometimes with books like this, I want the main characters to end up together purely because that's what's expected in a romance novel, but in this one the characters actually made sense together.

They were funny and sweet and brought out the best in each other. It wasn't a case of insta-love or insta-lust, I was completely convinced that they were in love with each other and we were shown it, not just told. Their characters just complimented each other perfectly. And I really, really loved that.

I also just really liked the characters individually too. They both had their moments of being ridiculous, but they were funny and intelligent and flawed in ways that never became annoying--he was grumpy and stubborn and too brutally honest sometimes and she could be quite vain, and it would be so easy for those personality traits to make their characters unlikeable, but it was just executed really well and I liked them both from start to finish. I really liked the side characters too.

As for the plot...well, Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite fairytales, and this is one of my favourite retellings of it. And the way it's done in this story doesn't have the Stockholm Syndrome aspect to it that it could be argued some of the other versions have going on.

And that's all I have to say really. If you like Beauty and the Beast type stories, or regency romance stories, then check this one out.

Later.

p.s. I think I may be getting out of my reading slump now that summer is over--this is the 5th book I've read and reviewed this week and I've already started another (not that anyone is supposed to care really, but it's making me feel all YAY-ish, so...yes).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.