Monday, 7 October 2013

If We Kiss by Rachel Vail

If We Kiss
by Rachel Vail

Summary:  What would happen if we kiss?

Kevin led me quickly around the side of the building, then stopped. I managed not to crash into him. I tried to look calm, cool, unperturbed. I told myself not to laugh, especially not a snorting kind of laugh. "Wha . . . what did . . ."

And then he kissed me.

If We Kiss is the story of Charlie, who finds herself falling for a boy who is off-limits. Her best friend is in love with him, and her mother and his father are dating. Still, Charlie can't help but wonder, what would happen if we kiss?
I didn't like this book very much. It's been on my shelf for years, and I went into it kind of expecting it to be like the sweet, fun rom-com books I used to read (you know those cute Simon Pulse ones that used to have awful cartoon covers?), but it didn't quite deliver.

But, I don't think the problem was the book exactly, it was just the timing. If I had read this when I was younger, then maybe I might've liked it more.

Charlie wasn't an awful character, she did have moments when she'd make me laugh, but in general she was just so...immature? And so were her friends, and so much about the story was really painfully immature (and it's not because of the age of the characters, because I've read and enjoyed plenty of books with younger characters, it was just the way they were written).

She is 14 years old and her friends are 14 years old, and yet she calls herself a prude and calls other people sluts...because of kissing? It's just - it's ridiculous. And they keep claiming to be in love. Like the Kevin situation--in the beginning, she says she considers him to be a slut and she doesn't like him, and then he kisses her and she literally starts going on about being in love with him (and talks about how her best friend has been in love with every boy she's kissed).

At 14, my friends and I definitely had our moments of ridiculousness, especially when it came to boys, but we were never like that. At least, I hope we weren't (I don't recall ever throwing around the word love like it was that meaningless). I'm sure Charlie and the other characters are an accurate portrayal of some teenagers, just not the ones I've known.

The book had its moments of sweetness (the Global Kiss thing is pretty cute), but I just couldn't enjoy it...maybe if I were still 13-15, I'd have liked it, but instead I just spent the majority of the book rolling my eyes and sighing at how silly the characters were being.

So...yeah, the book wasn't really my cup of tea. I'd rate it 2 stars out of 5...but I do think that it's just one of those ones that, for a lot of people, has to be read at a certain age to be appreciated.

I'm considering still reading the sequel though, because I do want to know Kevin's justification for the stuff that happened in the story and I'm hoping maybe the characters will be a little older and less cringe-worthy immature.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book ages ago (2005 maybe?) and adored it because I had a crush on a boy named Kevin at the time. That's still my strongest memory of this book. I know there's a sequel but I'm not much interested in checking that out. I'd rather leave it in the past with a fond memory of this book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.