Tuesday, 22 October 2013

On the Jellicoe Road Audiobook Review

On the Jellicoe Road
by Melina Marchetta

Summary: Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham 17, finally confronts her past. Hannah, the closest adult she has to family, disappears. Jonah Griggs, moody stares and all, is back in town. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.
I've read Jellicoe Road before (it's actually one of my favourite books) and I've been wanting to reread it for a long time but never got round to it. But then yesterday, I remembered that I got the audiobook from Audible a year or two ago but never actually listened to it (I think I started to but the voice annoyed me).

In this review, I'm not going to review the actual story because I've done that before (the tl;dr version of the review would basically just say the book is amazing and go read it now and go read everyone else Melina has written while you're at it), I just want to review this format of the book because I've never reviewed an audiobook before.

This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to (from start to finish). Anytime I ever tried I would just get irritated by the voice of the narrator or I'd zone out and miss what was being said, so I kind of wrote audiobooks off as not being my kind of thing.

Well, this one totally proved me wrong.

I don't know if it's because it was one of my favourite books or if it's because it's a book I've read before, but once I'd been listening for 10-20 minutes, I started to really enjoy having the story told to me instead of reading it myself. Things that bugged me initially were totally fine once I got used to it, and it was actually easy to properly listen and not get distracted once I got caught up in the story.

Basically, I loved this audiobook and it's actually made me open to trying some more (I think next time, I should probably try a book I haven't read yet, just to see if a book I don't already love can win me over in this format). Also, it's pretty good listening to the audio for sad books because you can just cry along with the story without having to try to read through tear blurred eyes.

If you've never tried an audiobook before, you should give one a chance and maybe it'll surprise you like this one did for me (when I got this, Audible actually had a free trial that let you download one audiobook for free and I'm pretty sure they still let new customers do that--so yeah, if you've never used Audible before, you should try that).

Story rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Audiobook rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I have read this before (love it) and have actually thought about getting it as the audiobook with one of my credits at Audible! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Jellicoe Road when I read it for the first time. I’ll admit to being very confused at first, but I eventually got really into the story and just fell in love. It’s such a uniquely written tale — and so, so good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.