Monday, 14 October 2013

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily
by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Summary: Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.
Peter Pan is one of my favourite stories ever, so I went into this expecting to either love it or hate it. Well, I loved it and I hated it...but the reasons for loving it and the reasons for hating it are the same, so I guess that means I pretty much loved it? (That makes sense, right? Right?)

The story was original and the writing was lovely (seriously, I kept tearing off pieces of the paper I was using as a bookmark to mark pages with quotes I loved). The story didn't quite feel as magical as Peter Pan does, and that's one of the things I loved about the original, but it didn't bother me really because it was written so well and it was different enough that I quickly stopped expecting it to feel like Peter Pan and appreciated it as its own story. There were things that were changed too and I'm not sure if I liked the changes or not, but they worked and made sense.

And the characters, they were great, but they didn't really feel like the ones from the original story...it was like they were these alternate versions of the characters that were inspired by them without actually being them and I ended up loving them in their own right. I adored Tiger Lily, and Pine Sap, and Tik Tok, and Tinker Bell (hated Wendy though and got pretty mad at Peter).

It hurt to read this book--I cried a few times reading it and just...it's one of those books that I love in an achey sort of way and it was lovely and awful and wonderful and terrible and...and I'm probably not making much sense but my feelings are all muddled up and it's difficult to pull them apart and make sense of them to properly review the book.

I'd rate the book 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.