Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Book and Movie Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red
by Kerstin Gier
Summary: Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
Book: So I kept seeing people mention this (and it had such a pretty cover! But the UK covers suck, they're just generic girl-in-a-dress) and I kept putting off reading it, but then I saw the movie trailer and it looked pretty good. And, now that I've read it, I can confirm that it was actually pretty good.

The thing is, if you asked me what was good about it, pretty much all I can think to say is that it was fast-paced and entertaining and it didn't bore me at all?

I liked the story, I liked the characters, and the writing was just...there, it wasn't bad but it wasn't memorable either (in the beginning, some of the dialogue seemed a little clumsy but I think this was originally published in German and then translated so I put anything that sounded a bit off down to the translation). So... I liked it, but there wasn't really anything I loved about it. And yet I was dying to read the sequels once I finished the first one (already started).

I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5, it's just a really fun book to read and it's addictive.

Movie: Now...the movie. I actually really liked the movie and I think as far as adaptations go, it's one of the better ones. The cast did a really good job and I think most of them looked pretty spot on as far as their descriptions go (Gwen isn't quite how I imagined her, but the actress did really well).

The only things a little off were some of the dubbed voices (the movie is filmed in German) were a bit OTT and nearer the end, there's some things that happen that make less sense in the movie because the movie doesn't really explain the motives of some of the characters clearly so something that made sense in the book becomes something kind of, "Dude, aren't you overreacting just a bit? And why aren't you stopping him, Gwen?"

Also, in the movie they change the main characters name to Gwendolyn and I actually really like that change (I love the name Gwendolyn, kind of hate the name Gwyneth). They didn't change much of the plot, but I think they may have included things that don't happen until later books (or maybe they just wrote some new stuff into the story, I don't know yet).

I think they're filming the sequel right now, but non-German speaking people will probably have to wait quite a while for the DVD to come out so they can get a dubbed/subtitled version.

Here's the movie trailer (dubbed version):


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.