Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Grave Matters by Jana Oliver

Note: The summary of this will have some spoilers of the Demon Trappers series.
Grave Matters
by Jana Oliver

Summary: A Demon Trappers Novella

A legendary Demon Trapper, Riley Blackthorne frequently battles with Hell’s minions. So when she travels to Scotland to meet up with her hunky boyfriend, and celebrate her eighteenth birthday, she’s thrilled at the chance to leave Atlanta and its troubles behind.

Denver Beck, who has been studying for months to become a Grand Master – a rare and highly dangerous job -- is just as eager to see his girl. He’s anticipating a romantic reunion, keen to take their relationship to the next level.

But Riley’s twisted history with Hell has garnered unwelcome interest by people willing to use her for their own purposes. Trouble is brewing in the land of the heather, the kind that will drive a wedge between her and Beck, and prove the ultimate test of their love . . . and their survival skills.

Bonus content includes demon illustrations and two Demon Trappers short stories. 
So, this is a novella about Riley and Beck, set a while after the final book in the Demon Trappers series (awesome series, check it out if you haven't read it). It's available to buy in paperback or ebook, or it can be read for free in installments on Jana's website.

The novella was...cute. It wasn't amazing though. It was nice seeing a few of my favourite characters but it mostly just left me craving more of the actual series instead of providing more closure on what happens to them and their relationship post-final book. I almost wish I hadn't read it for that reason--it could've easily been setting up for another full novel with the way it ended (I so wish it was).

The phonetically written accents bugged me way more in this than the rest of the series (phonetically written accents--particularly my own accent--are one of my biggest writing pet peeves ever, but the books are good enough for me to overlook that). Maybe it's just because the novella is set in Scotland so there was more Scottish accent going on (my accent) and so it seemed more annoying (and I was way more nitpicky with it).

Also, about the setting, I think that people who aren't from Scotland may enjoy the setting of the novella more than I did (for some reason I just don't enjoy stories set here, particularly when the main characters aren't from here so they view it through a tourists eyes--anyone else get like that about their hometown/country?).

Basically, I think the story is worth reading if you're a fan of the Demon Trappers series, but I think maybe it's best to just get the e-book or read the free version (or at least check out a couple of installments of the free one before buying a physical copy). I sort of wish I hadn't spent money on the paperback--it had quite a few typos and I didn't love it in that I need this on my shelf sort of way, but I suppose it'll be nice to have with the rest of the series.

And that's all I have to say about this.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.