Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Sapphire Blue & Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

I'll only add the summary for the second book, to avoid spoilers (the review is pretty spoiler free too).

Sapphire Blue & Emerald Green
by Kerstin Gier
Summary: Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
I'm reviewing these two together because 1) I literally read them one right after the other so they're kind of merged in my mind and 2) I don't have much to say about them individually.

I really, really enjoyed this series. It's not going to be one of those "OMG, this is so amazing!"-all-time-favourite series'... it was just really entertaining and fun to read, and when I finished one book I'd find myself desperately wanting to start the next one (which I did with these two).

The romance kind of annoyed me more in these two than the first one. Mostly because it felt more insta-love. In the first book, it seemed more like a crush/an attraction but with this one it jumps right into the Love territory, even though only about a week passes from the first page of the first book to the last page of the final book.

So yeah, that bugged me. I can handle a crush, but it gets a bit annoying when they're throwing around the L-word and being all dramatic about someone they've only known a handful of days.

I wished Gwen would speak up a bit more too. When the Guardians or a few of her relatives are treating her badly, she just takes it most of the time and I wish we'd gotten a few good scenes of her putting them in their place, because her character definitely had that in her (she does stand up to Gideon sometimes). So that was a bit frustrating.

The other characters were great, I loved the demon ghost especially, he made me laugh out loud a few times.
And I loved that it felt like the plot was picking up pace in this one, while the first book felt like not much happened. Although, it annoyed me that they seemed to take a stupid amount of time to figure out things that were blatantly obvious--like, the prophecies, they may be worded a little weirdly but a monkey could figure out the gist of what they're saying, so why does it take so long to click with them? *headdesk*

But...yeah. This review is seeming more critical than positive, which wasn't my intention. I guess my point is that there are things that annoyed me about the books, little things that were frustrating to read, but I couldn't stop reading them. I genuinely enjoyed reading them, from start to finish and I really recommend the series if you want a something that is fun but not too...emotionally draining/heavy.

Overall, I'd rate the series 3.5 stars out of 5 (maybe 4, if I rate on pure enjoyability).

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.