Thursday, 23 January 2014

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

Sisterhood Everlasting 
by Ann Brashares

Summary: Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

As moving and life-changing as an encounter with long-lost best friends, Sisterhood Everlasting is a powerful story about growing up, losing your way, and finding the courage to create a new one.
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book when I first heard about it, because I read some spoilers about a major thing that happens in the book and I'd read quite a few negative reviews of it (mostly from people who didn't like the thing the spoiler was about). But now that I have read it, I am so glad that I did.

I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series when I read it years ago, and what surprised me most about this book was how easy it was to step back into this world and care about these characters--I didn't have to reread the series before reading this one, I just jumped right in and it clicked with me from the start (and made me cry quite a few times).

The series has some romance in it, but it's mostly a story about family and friendship and how friends can be your family too, and I thought the series ended well with the fourth book but I'm really happy Ann decided to write this one to show us where and who the characters would be as adults.

I love that it shows how people change and relationships change and how life happens even if you don't want to, it goes on even if you try to be still and cling to what used to be. I love that it showed the bad parts of life as well as the good. And I really love these characters, because they're all really flawed--they make mistakes, they do things that annoy me or frustrate me, but I never hate them at the end of it all.

Another thing, I really liked the writing. The writing isn't something I noticed or remembered much from the first four books, but I noticed it in this one and found myself marking a few quotes I really liked.

And...I think that's all I have to say about the book really. So much of the story revolves around something I don't want to spoil, so I can't really talk about it anymore than this.

If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. And if you have read the first four but not this one, go read it now because it's worth it (even if you've read certain spoilers--like I did--that make you not want to), it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of book, but you just might love it.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.