Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments
by Rainbow Rowell

Summary: "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?
So...I think Rainbow Rowell is another one of those authors who could write the phonebook and somehow make it wonderful. I loved Eleanor & Park and I loved Fangirl even more and, while it wasn't as amazing as those two, I loved Attachments too.

The book was well written (seriously, there were a lot of quoteable scenes), and it was funny and adorable but still managed to feel kind of...real? Yeah. And she somehow managed to make something work out that would've just seemed creepy or weird if it was written by someone else.

And I loved the characters. Sometimes Lincoln's story dragged a little bit, but even then it wasn't bad. Beth and Jennifer's emails were my favourite part though, we got to know these two characters so well just by seeing some of their emails to each other and it was awesome (the fact that the emails reminded me of emails my best friend and I used to send each other while she was living in Edinburgh made me smile).

And the nostalgia...ljbvlh. Now, I wasn't an adult in 2000. Hell, I wasn't even a teenager yet, but I remember it. I remember that new year (my friends and I had a millenium sleepover/party--there was much drama) and I remember all the fuss leading up to it and I remember that time (that time before everyone seemed to have a mobile phone and a computer or laptop, before everyone was so connected via the internet). It was nice reading a story that took me back there.

I think that's all I really have to say about the book. If you haven't read a Rainbow Rowell book yet, go do it, because her books are awesome (she's definitely on my insta-read list now).

I'd rate it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.