Monday, 14 April 2014

Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue by Stephanie Laurens

Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue
by Stephanie Laurens

Summary: Determined to hunt down her very own hero, one who will sweep her off her feet and into wedded bliss, and despairing of finding him in London's staid ballrooms, Heather Cynster steps out of her safe world and boldly attends a racy soiree.

But her promising hunt is ruined by the supremely interfering Viscount Breckenridge, who whisks her out of scandal-and straight into danger when a mysterious enemy seizes her, bundles her into a coach, and conveys her out of London.

Now it's up to the notorious Breckenridge to prove himself the hero she's been searching for all along...
Let's start this review with some numbers.

Number of times I gave up reading this before forcing myself to pick it up again (I'm stubborn): 3
Numer of times I threw the book across the room: 2
Number of times I fell asleep trying to read it: Lost count.
Number of weeks it took me to finish it: 6/7
Number of things I like about the book: 0

Basically, this was one of the worst books I've read in a long time. The thing is, there wasn't really anything about it that was inherently bad, it was just really, really, really, mind numbingly, infuriatingly boring. So, so boring. I almost cried because it was so boring. Reading one chapter felt like ten and it didn't matter what the scene was--be it an argument or romantic scene or something else--it droned on and on in the same monotonous manner.

There were a few things I didn't like (beyond being boring). Like the POV changes--not just because I'm not the biggest fan of that in general, but because it was done so clumsily with no real transition between one to the next. And I thought the first 2/3 of the book were bad, but the last 100 or so pages were torture to get through--they literally had the same conversation over and over again, to the point where it went beyond the characters being stubborn and crossed into complete idiocy.

Also, I didn't like that certain things were left unexplained. Now, there's a lot of books in the Cynster series (15, I think? Plus a few spin off series), the reason I started with this one was because it was described as the first in a trilogy that could be read on its own (I think the characters in this were perhaps minor ones in the main series?). I assumed, being the first in a trilogy, that it could be read on its own. And to an extent, it can be, but we're barely given any back story for the characters and there are things implied about Breckenridge and about their past that are never really explained.

This is probably because it's explained in the other Cynster books and the author assumed that anyone reading this would read them, but it should have been properly explained in this book too--it would've literally only taken a page or two to explain, but she doesn't bother and it made it feel like I'd jumped into the middle of a series instead of the start of a trilogy.

I'm still quite new to the world of historical romance but I think this is the first of the genre I've actually hated. I think maybe I'll stick to the Sarah Maclean and Eloisa James kind of books whenever I'm in the mood for some regency romance.

I'd cross her off my reading list right now if I didn't already own two of her other books (a duology, also about the Cynster family). I got them assuming I was going to like this book because I'm very easy to please when it comes to this kind of story. I should have liked it--it had all the elements that appealed to me, it had the regency setting, it had a kidnap plot, it had romance...but the execution was so dull (and this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea--literally a book about an old dude in a boat trying to catch a fish).

I hate writing negative reviews, but I wanted to review this one because this was the book that sparked this discussion post. I'd rate the book 0.5 stars out of 5. But, even if it didn't work for me, you might have more luck with it than I did.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.