Sunday, 18 May 2014

Behind the Books (6)

For anyone who doesn't know, Behind the Books is a very occasional feature we do here on the blog to talk about what's going on in our personal lives.

1.) This past semester, I was an editorial intern at Farrar, Straus, and Giroux Books for Young Readers, which is an imprint of Macmillan's Children's books. It was an incredible experience that I really loved and I had an amazing group of supervisors. It definitely cemented that publishing is where I want to be and that children's publishing is probably my best fit. This is also why, as sporadically as I reviewed, they were never Macmillan titles.

2.) After two years, my job as C.J. Redwine's assistant ended...about the same time as I was hired as Sarah Mlynowski's assistant. It all came down to my location. It's a lot easier to be an assistant in person and since Sarah lives in the city...it works out pretty well.

3.) Last August, I launched my own editorial company, True Blue Editorial, which has been doing pretty well so far. I'm currently booked through the month and possibly into June, so openings go fast if anyone's interested!

4.) Yes this means there was a period of about a month where I was working three jobs while going to school. Can you really blame me for being an awful blogger this semester?

5.) Speaking of, my semester is just about over. I have a 2-3 page paper I'll be emailing in by Wednesday and a final Monday morning, and then it's all over for me! I'm excited. I wasn't enjoying most of my classes - one had a grading policy that made no sense, one required a lot of field trips I couldn't make, and one was at 6:30 at night, so even if I loved it...nobody wants to be in class until 8:30-9. I'm MUCH more excited about my classes next semester and the schedule looks much better. I had a couple of weird-length breaks this semester, including a 3 and a half hour block on Wednesdays, but I only have one, 90 minute break next semester. I'm NOT really feeling my 8 am Spanish class though.

6.) I spent a lot of time going back and forth between NYC and my parents' this semester. It was a weird combo of things - my mom had surgery, my grandma's birthday, my other grandparents' anniversary, me trying to get my braces off, a family wedding in Charlotte that I worried about missing my flight, and an eye doctor appointment. I was basically back at my parents' every two weeks since Christmas. That trend continues when I go back again, probably on Wednesday, for my brother's tenth birthday and some end of semester relaxation...then again two weeks later for my follow-up appointment after getting my braces removed. But THEN that trend will end...maybe.

7.) I will be going to BEA again this year! Fortunately, there is no moving before it as my roommate and I renewed our lease, but I will once again be helping out at Teen Author Carnival, then starting my BEA madness early Thursday. I'll be Instagramming and tweeting (link in the side bar) and I will hopefully do a recap in the week after. If you see me there, please say hi!

8.) We're working on coming back. I know I say that a lot, but we're actually scheduled through the next week and a little bit of the week after that. I genuinely feel like blogging again, which is wonderful. So, give us a bit more time to readjust, but things are going.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. You've been a busy girl! See you soon!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lots of things going on for you! I love these personal life update posts. :-)

    See you at BEA!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.