Saturday, 17 May 2014

Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn

Broken Hearts, Fence, and Other Things to Mend
Katie Finn
Feiwel and Friends
[May 13, 2014]

Summer, boys, and friendships gone sour. This new series has everything that perfect beach reads are made of!

Gemma just got dumped and is devastated. She finds herself back in the Hamptons for the summer—which puts her at risk of bumping into Hallie, her former best friend that she wronged five years earlier. Do people hold grudges that long?

When a small case of mistaken identity causes everyone, including Hallie and her dreamy brother Josh, to think she’s someone else, Gemma decides to go along with it.

Gemma's plan is working (she's finding it hard to resist Josh), but she's finding herself in embarrassing situations (how could a bathing suit fall apart like that!?). Is it coincidence or is someone trying to expose her true identity? And how will Josh react if he finds out who she is?

Katie Finn hits all the right notes in this perfect beginning to a new summer series: A Broken Hearts & Revenge novel.
I picked up Broken Hearts thinking it would be this really light, fun, perfect summer read. I mean, Katie is also Morgan Matson and okay, Second Chance Summer ripped me to shreds, but it was SUPPOSED to. I didn't expect this to be a bit of a gut-punch. And I didn't expect this would be one of the first books in a long while I wanted to throw at a wall when I finished.

I really liked Gemma. She made mistakes and wasn't a great person, necessarily, but she was trying to hard and felt so bad. It made me think of times I've made mistakes and how it still haunts me, no matter how many years it's been. (No lie, I still think about that one spelling test I failed in second grade.) But she wanted nothing more to move on from those mistakes, even if the world wasn't really working with her.

And then there was Josh. JOSH. Oh Josh. He was the greatest. Just...so great. And he cared so much and Gemma couldn't just let things happen slowly and it was PAINFUL because they could be so great together! But! The problems! Gemma's need to work through things! Sigh.

I really loved the skill Katie used in making it a little ambiguous as to if these were just accidents or not. As a reader, it seemed obvious what was going on, but Gemma was SO determined to believe one way and I wanted it to be true for her sake. I wanted Gemma to be right.

Then there was THE. ENDING. Man that ending. It was so good and SO MEAN. I can't believe she could end the book this way. BOOK TWO IS TO FAR AWAY AND I AM WILLING TO GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO ACQUIRE IT. Seriously, I finished it and probably would've thrown it but the wall across from me is lined with precariously piled things I was not willing to fix. It logically made sense as an ending but like...my patience is not that high. I am not okay with it and I read this book a month ago. STILL NOT OKAY.

I mean...you all need to read this book. I loved it so much and Gemma was such a realistic teenager. BUT OH MY GOD THE ENDING. Read it and suffer along with me in the wait for book two! DO IT.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this now. I got a little concerned by your tweet because usually throwing a book at the wall is generally a bad thing (in that the book is bad or makes you angry), and I was like "Oh no, what's wrong with it?!" Glad you enjoyed it despite the ending, which now I'm curious about. I met Katie last night at a Fierce Reads signing- she's very sweet and I've loved her previous books (never read anything by her as Morgan Matson though). I'm definitely excited to read more of Broken Hearts now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.