Sunday, 12 May 2013

Hostage Three by Nick Lake

Hostage Three
by Nick Lake

Summary: The last thing Amy planned to do this summer was sail around the world trapped on a yacht with her father and her stepmother. Really, all she wanted was to fast-forward to October when she’ll turn
eighteen and take control of her own life.

Aboard the Daisy May, Amy spends time sunbathing, dolphin watching and forgetting the past as everything floats by . . . until one day in the Gulf of Aden another boat appears. A boat with guns and pirates – the kind that kill.

Immediately, the pirates seize the boat and its human cargo. Hostage One is Amy’s father – the most valuable. Hostage Two: her stepmother. And Hostage Three is Amy, who can’t believe what’s happening. As the ransom brokering plays out, Amy finds herself becoming less afraid, and even stranger still, drawn to one of her captors, a teenage boy who wants desperately to be more than who he has become. Suddenly it becomes brutally clear that the price of life and its value are two very different things . . .
Well then... I now have another book to add to my favourites shelves. This book was awesome.

It took me quite a while to get through it, because it's one of those books that is really good and you don't want to stop reading it...but you kind of end up putting it down a lot too because you just know it's not going to end all rainbows and butterflies and you're not emotionally ready for that yet, so you delay getting to the end for as long as you can. Or am I the only one that does that?

But yeah, this was one of those books. It was really well written and it's weird, because like... I cared about the characters, but I didn't realise how emotionally invested I'd gotten until near the end when it got to a certain point and had me crying pretty consistently until the last page. It's been a while since a book has gotten to me like that.

If a book can make me cry like a baby, it's definintely doing something right.

I love books about Stockholm Syndrome, which may seem weird, but it's really fascinating and I love how books like that can screw with the readers mind just as much as the characters and it makes you really understand it. This book was a perfect example of that.

And I loved that the book kind of shows two sides of the story. Like, it doesn't condone what the pirates do, but it makes you understand it and realise it's more complicated than simple right vs. wrong... I'd heard about Somali pirates before, of course, but I never really knew much about how they came to be what they are until I read this book and then read more about it online once I was finished (another sign of a good book: it makes me want to learn more about something).

The only thing I didn't like was the way the dialogue was written without punctuation marks, I didn't see the point in it, it didn't add anything to the story and was annoying a lot of the time (because while it was clear when someone was talking, the actual talking part was smooshed together with dialogue tags and Amy's narration so it was unclear a lot of the time where what characters were saying out loud and what were Amy's thoughts). You get used to it, but still, I'd have preferred the dialogue just written normally.

So...that's all I'm going to say about the book. I'd rate it 4.5 out of 5 stars...maybe 5/5 for making me feel like someone pulled out my heart, stomped on it, before putting it back in my chest (read: Because feelings. Lots of feelings).

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.