Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Broken and Screwed by Tijan

Note: The e-book editions of this book are actually on sale from today for $0.99 (for a week, I think?) and one of her other books, Fallen Crest High, is free on Kindle right now too.


Broken and Screwed 
by Tijan


Summary: Alexandra's older brother died the night he graduated. That day changed everything for her. No longer was she the party girl. No longer did she care about being popular and no longer was her family the happy unit she always thought existed. The only person who could help her heal is the same person who loved her brother as much as she did, his best friend. She only hopes to keep her entire heart from breaking when Jesse will move on, and she knows he will.

After Ethan died, Jesse excelled at basketball, partying, and girls. He used it all to turn his emotions off, but the irony was that Alex was the only person who could do that for him. She helped him forget, but she was the one person he shouldn't be with because the secrets he knows could shatter everything. They could shatter her.
So I've had this book for ages and I'm not sure why I put off reading it for so long because I love Tijan's books, I've yet to read one that I didn't like (I think with this one, maybe the title put me off? I'm really weird with book titles). While I didn't love it quite as much as other books of hers, I still really enjoyed it.

Her books are the kind that I can happily sit down and read in one sitting, even if I'm in a reading slump (which I have been recently) and this one was no exception.

The romance in this one was weird because I actually thought Jesse was a complete asshat a lot of the time. He could be so infuriating, especially when it seemed like he thought his grief was greater than or equal to Alex's. He was just... he was an ass and I thought Alex deserved better, and yet I was still rooting for them because of the crazy chemistry that they had. I didn't want her to find someone better, I wanted him to be better. And it says a lot about the book if I'm rooting for a couple when I think the guy is kind of a douchebag.

And the characters...they got under my skin. I liked Alex and I loved the friendship she had with Angie (although, Angie could be annoying at times, but I just saw that as realistic) and I wanted to scream at Alex's parents for being awful and I hated Marissa and...and I just really like it when I read a book and have strong reactions to the characters, this one definitely delivered that.

I can't even explain what I liked about the book beyond that really, and the only thing I didn't like* were the negative female tropes (the bleach blonde "slutty" girls who wear really revealing clothes, always throwing themselves at guys or being catty--it seemed like all the girls who were attracted to Jesse, except Alex's friend, were described that way), but that was just something that registered with me while reading without having much impact on how much I enjoyed the story.

But yeah, I'd rate the book 4 stars out of 5, it had me hooked and and it left me desperate to read the rest of the series (but I have to wait to read the second book kljhlkh). If you haven't read any of Tijan's books yet, check them out, she's one of the few self-published authors that I not only read, but have on my insta-read list (like, I've bought books of hers before without even reading the summary first--like this one, actually).

Later.

*Well, the timeline confused me a bit too. I could never figure out if Jesse and Ethan were the same age or not or if Jesse was a junior while Ethan was a senior (Ethan graduated the day he died, but Jesse doesn't graduate until a year later when the story begins, and yet the story says that Jesse and Ethan were a year older than Alex). But I probably just missed something (it happens when I read a book in one sitting, ignoring my tiredness).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.