Monday, 21 July 2014

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

I've Got Your Number
by Sophie Kinsella

Summary: Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.
So this is the first Sophie Kinsella book I've ever read and it probably won't be the last, because while I didn't love the book, I enjoyed it enough to be interested in checking out some of her other books.

Poppy was annoying a lot of the time and there were parts of the story that were just utterly ridiculous (like a couch conveniently being dragged loudly across the floor of an office building at the exact moment Poppy was trying to get someones attention, for example) but she grew on me and it wasn't too hard to overlook the silly things after a while.

Also, a lot of the humour in the book kind of straddled the line between actually funny and the kind of thing that is supposed to be funny but instead makes you cringe from secondhand embarrassment (something I hate in books and movies).

And this review is leaning more towards the negative side, but I did genuinely enjoy the book, it did make me laugh a few times and I finished it with a smile. Sam was lovely, he was definitely the highlight of the book for me and Poppy was most likable in her scenes with him.

I guess that's all I have to say about this one. Sophie Kinsella is one of those authors that I hear loads of good things about and this book, to me, wasn't really as amazing as people make her books out to be but it was a fun read. I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5 (would have probably been 4, if I'd reviewed it right after reading but because I left it a while, I've realised that it was kind of forgettable).

Later.

3 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book but I wasn't sure if it was part of a series or not. I also look at it when I'm at the store but always end up getting something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not part of a series. It's worth reading if you're ever looking for something that's just cute and fun. :)

      Delete
  2. I listened to the audio of this book and her book, Can You Keep A Secret? Really liked both of them, maybe Secret a bit more. Give her books on audio a try, definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.