Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid

Let's Get Lost
Adi Alsaid
HarlequinTeen
[July 29, 2014]
ARC from publisher

Five strangers. Countless adventures.One epic way to get lost.

Four teens across the country have only one thing in common: a girl named LEILA. She crashes into their lives in her absurdly red car at the moment they need someone the most.

There's HUDSON, a small-town mechanic who is willing to throw away his dreams for true love. And BREE, a runaway who seizes every Tuesday—and a few stolen goods along the way. ELLIOT believes in happy endings…until his own life goes off-script. And SONIA worries that when she lost her boyfriend, she also lost the ability to love.

Hudson, Bree, Elliot and Sonia find a friend in Leila. And when Leila leaves them, their lives are forever changed. But it is during Leila's own 4,268-mile journey that she discovers the most important truth— sometimes, what you need most is right where you started. And maybe the only way to find what you're looking for is to get lost along the way.

I love road trip books. And the concept of this one intrigued me. We don't really see what's going on from the central character's perspective until the very end of the book, instead getting glimpses of the lives she touches on her trip, never getting any concrete answers. This ended up being not quite what I expected, but still a really unique take on the usual road trip book that I really enjoyed.

Leila was instantly likable to me. She was this enjoyable mystery and I wanted to know what her deal was. She was fascinating to watch in her interactions with all these people and how she could change, but she was still the same person at her core. She never really grabbed me as a main character, but I liked her. Hudson, Bree, Elliot, and Sonia were all distinct characters with really different story lines.  I think Hudson's might have been my favorite, honestly. Apparently this is uncommon, though.

This was a really interesting way to tell a story and Adi pulled it off really well. Every section brought out a lot about who Leila was and what was going on with her while also helping one of the other four characters develop. You can never really be sure how multiple POV stories will turn out, but this really worked.

Overall, I wasn't in love with this book and didn't find it particularly memorable, but it was enjoyable. Not quite as light as I expected, which probably impacted my enjoyment, yet without a doubt a well written, skilled debut novel. I will certainly be looking to see what else Adi puts out there to see if it clicks better with me.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I've read a lot of reviews which share similar thoughts to yours... that Let's Get Lost was good, but not GREAT. Which is pretty disappointing, since I've been trying to find a good road trip book. Great review... thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.