Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Bounty by Elise Sax

Bounty
by Elise Sax

Summary: Abby Williams has got it made: First a new job as magazine editor in London, and now a trip to an exotic island to review a five-star resort with poolside service. Unfortunately, on day two of her vacation, Abby finds herself bound and stuffed into a burlap bag and dragged across two continents. And worse than that? Her hottie abductor has got her distracted. Maybe escape is overrated.

Iain Brodie is a muscle-bound mercenary. He just helped a despotic dictator take over an island. He's also Abby's kidnapper, and he has his own problems. Framed for a murder he didn't commit and a boss who’s out to get him, he has to face facts: Early retirement is out of the question and Abby Williams looks damned good in a burlap bag.
This book kind of took me by surprise, because I actually really liked it and finished it with a smile on my face. The reason that's surprising? I pretty much hated almost the first half of the book.

In the first half, the main character was annoying beyond belief, she was just immature and awful. And the humour--I could tell that I was supposed to be finding things funny, but it just wasn't, it was trying too hard. And the story itself was just utterly ridiculous...to the point where I couldn't tell what was bad for comedic value and what was just plain bad (at times, it felt like I was reading a parody of kidnap stories instead of just a romcom type book).

But then...the second half, it changed. It actually got pretty funny at times and while Abby still had her annoying and immature moments, she wasn't nearly so bad (either the second half was just better or she started to grow on me, I don't know which). There was still a lot about the story that was ridiculous, but it didn't bother me like it did in the first half.

Basically, I went from hating the book to being hooked and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I really liked the relationship between Brodie and Abby (even if at times I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he'd even like her) and I actually liked that it never felt like I was reading a story about Stockholm Syndrome, because it made it easier to root for them.

I'd rate the book 3.5 stars out of 5 (may have been higher, if I didn't factor in the first half), I don't recommend it if you want something serious, but if you're looking for something fun then you might like this.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. so the second half was when the author decided to just let it be? or something changed in the character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it was really. Either the story and character genuinely got better in the second half, or by the second half it had just grown on me and stopped annoying me. =P

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.