Friday, 12 September 2014

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

I'll Give You the Sun
Jandy Nelson
Dial Books for Young Readers
[September 16, 2014]
ARC from BEA


A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell

Jude and her brother, Noah, are incredibly close twins. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude surfs and cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and divisive ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as an unpredictable new mentor. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant, fully alive, sometimes very funny novel from the critically acclaimed author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.
This was my first BEA read. I knew I was desperate for it - desperate enough to be in her signing line 45 minutes early - but I hadn't realized how desperate until it called me over all the other books in my BEA pile. I mean, maybe I should have. This book's been on my goodreads shelf for like 3 years under 2 or 3 different titles. But thank God it clicked.

I didn't love it at first. Jandy Nelson's writing is undeniably gorgeous, but I just wasn't feeling it. It was a little bit confusing and the story wasn't sucking me in.

And. Then.

Just a couple chapters in, I was utterly enthralled by the story Jandy Nelson was weaving. These two perspectives were several years apart yet painted this incredibly full picture. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time to watch Jude and Noah grow into themselves and grow back into close siblings. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and read the last half of it in one sitting.

The characters in this book are all misfits that mash together at different times in different places to create families. They're all different and wonderful in some way or another and I fell in love with the whole cast and how they interacted. They all had amazing chemistry.

And the writing. OH the writing. It's so beautiful and rich and incredible. I love it so much. Jandy Nelson could write a textbook on economics and I would probably love every word. I could go on and on about it but seriously, nothing is going to do Jandy Nelson's writing justice, for the love of God just go read one of her books.

I just...I have no words for what happened. I don't want to spoil anything but this book is absolutely amazing and mind blowing. Jandy Nelson is without question one of the most skilled writers out there and you're only hurting yourself if you're not reading her books. She wove this intricate story with amazing, flawed, remarkable characters. It's a slow start where you wonder WTF is going on and if you should really be reading this, but TRUST ME. You should be. You absolutely should be. You'll look back on those chapters and think you're silly for ever doubting Jandy. 

Go. Pre-order. Buy it if you can find it. Buy The Sky is Everywhere if you can't. Enjoy having your eyes opened.

--Julie

Disclaimer: This review was written and scheduled before I was employed at Penguin. My opinions are my own and do not reflect on the company, nor does my employment play a part in my opinion on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.