Saturday, 13 September 2014

Labor of Love by Rachel Hawthorne

Labor of Love
by Rachel Hawthorne

Summary: To Do:

Investigate the French Quarter
Buy new hammer
Stop worrying that hard hat is going to ruin my hair
Stop thinking about ex-boyfriend. No guys this summer!
Find some cool jazz clubs to visit later
Get psychic readings with Jenna and Amber
Get Jenna and Amber to stop talking about psychic readings, the cute guy the psychic said I would meet, and the cute guy I just met. No guys this summer!!!
Throw self into work. Stop thinking about the cute guy!
I used to read these types of books all the time when I was younger--the tiny romcom type ones with infuriatingly awful illustrated covers, that type of book. They were the perfect quick reads to make me smile.

This is the first one I've read in ages and I only really read it because it was one that's been in my TBR for a while...but enough rambling, the point is this: I used to adore these books. They didn't measure up to my favourite books but they were perfect for what they were--cute summer reads (or, in some cases, winter as there's plenty of snow-themed ones).

I don't know if I've outgrown them now, or if I've just read too many good books that tick the same boxes that these used to (e.g. cute, fun, romcom/chick lit-y), or if maybe this particular one just wasn't my cup of tea...but yeah, I didn't like the book much.

It was okay, just okay.

The first half of the book, I just didn't like at all but it picked up more in the second half (considering how short the book is though, not liking half of it is not good). The characters were kind of annoying and Dawn's thought process is very repetetive (I like him. I don't like him. I don't want to like him. But I like him. But I don't. etc.)...the second half was better, purely because it was cute and I did think Dawn and Brady were sweet together. One thing I really did like was the New Orleans setting though.

But I dunno...there was just no spark. Nothing to make me love it, even the end was just... it was predictable, which is fine because that's expected in these books, but it was in a really underwhelming sort of way.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the problem is the book or if the problem was with me, but I'd only rate it 2.5 stars out of 5 (but if you want to check out this sort of book, I recommend one of the authors other books, Snowed In, which I remember loving when I first read it).

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.