Saturday, 25 October 2014

Come Back to Me by Mila Gray

Note: I actually meant to post this two days ago, because the book is now out in paperback in the UK.

Come Back to Me
by Mila Gray

Summary: Home on leave in sunny California, Marine and local lothario Kit Ryan finds himself dangerously drawn to his best friend's sister, Jessa - the one girl he can't have.

But Kit's not about to let a few obstacles stand in his way and soon Jessa's falling for his irresistible charms.

What starts out as a summer romance of secret hook-ups and magical first times quickly develops into a passionate love affair that turns both their worlds upside down.

When summer's over and it's time for Kit to redeploy, neither Kit nor Jessa are ready to say goodbye. Jessa's finally following her dreams and Kit's discovered there's someone he'd sacrifice everything for.

Jessa's prepared to wait for Kit no matter what. But when something more than distance and time rips them apart they're forced to decide whether what they have is really worth fighting for.
I went into this book expecting to love it. Then a few chapters in, I thought it was going to be a disappointment--I remained pretty convinced of that until about a third of the way into the book. But then it did that thing that not many books can accomplish, where it just totally wins me over and I get so caught up in the story and there are tears and...and feelings, lots of feelings, and I end the book with a smile on my face.

The thing that had me sure it would be a disappointment was less about the book itself really, and more about me. Because I liked the story, I liked the characters, I liked the writing. The problem: I didn't know this going into it, but the book contains one of my top three bookish pet peeves (especially romance books)--alternating POV's.

For that first third of the book, because that was the beginning of the romance, I thought the POV switches ruined it for me. Some people love knowing what the love interest is thinking (which I'm cool with as bonus chapters at the end). Me? I prefer it to be all in one persons perspective, that way you go on the rollercoaster of emotions with them. When you know both sides, you don't really get to do that because there's no mystery to the relationship, no wondering, no uncertainty...and for me, that's normally one of my favourite parts.

So yeah, for that reason I just thought that first chunk of the book was just okay. But once I really got into the story, and once there was some more complexity thrown into the relationship, I started to really love the book.

I really liked Jessa and Kit, and I loved them as a couple because it was like when they were together they became the best versions of themselves. But I love that it didn't just focus on the romance though, because there was family drama thrown in there too and I loved the way that was all resolved.

So...that's all I have to say. I really enjoyed the book and it made me smile and it made me cry. Most of all though, it proved me wrong and managed to win me over in spite of containing one of my biggest book pet peeves, becoming one of the exceptions. I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.