Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Summary: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.
So...this book was kind of cheesy and it had a lot of cliche moments, I got annoyed quite a lot while reading it. And yet, I think I maybe might have, sort of, really loved it? Yes, that works.

It was just--it was addictive. And it never bored me and I felt invested in what happened to the characters even while I was rolling my eyes at how cheesy some of it was. And the romance...it was infuriating and awesome, I loved the love/hate thing that Kat and Daemon had going on and I loved that things that irritated me about him in the beginning slowly became things I really loved about him and their relationship.

The book was just really fast paced and fun, with quite a few laugh out loud funny moments. It's kind of like this is what you would get if you tossed Twilight* and the TV show Roswell in a blender then threw in a female protagonist that was Meg Cabot character level sassy.

I actually kind of regret reading it right now, because I don't have the sequels to read just yet and I'll have to wait and I don't want to wait because...well, like I said - I maybe might have, sort of, really loved this book. I wasn't expecting that at all, I only read it because so many people I trusted were all, "Yay, this book is awesome!" and now I'm all, "Yay, it really was awesome" and...I'm sorry, I may have stayed up past the point of tiredness to finish the book and it's making me a wee bit more ridiculous than normal.

So, yes. I'll shut up now. I'd rate the book 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.


*It's way better written than Twilight though, and I know Twilight gets a lot of hate and I do agree with plenty of the criticism it gets but I do kind of love the first three books in spite of that. This book gave me a similar sort of feeling, where I was so swept up in the story and the characters that the flaws didn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.