Monday, 6 October 2014

The Strange & Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

The Strange & Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
by Leslye Walton

Summary: Foolish love appears to be the Roux family birthright, an ominous forecast for its most recent progeny, Ava Lavender. Ava—in all other ways a normal girl—is born with the wings of a bird.

In a quest to understand her peculiar disposition and a growing desire to fit in with her peers, sixteen-year old Ava ventures into the wider world, ill-prepared for what she might discover and naïve to the twisted motives of others. Others like the pious Nathaniel Sorrows, who mistakes Ava for an angel and whose obsession with her grows until the night of the Summer Solstice celebration.

That night, the skies open up, rain and feathers fill the air, and Ava’s quest and her family’s saga build to a devastating crescendo.
So... I just had to spent like 10 minutes reshuffling my shelves so that I could make space for this one on the shelf reserved for my all time favourite books, because this book was amazing.

I haven't read many books with magical realism, but books like this one make me want to read more in the hopes they'll be just as good. It was just so - wonderfully weird, and lovely, and heartbreaking, and awesome.

The writing was beautiful and lyrical (and it's one of those stories where the setting is written so well that the place becomes almost a character itself). And the characters--the characters were unique and I loved them, and I really cared about what happened to them. And then there's the plot...sometimes it would seem like the story was going off on a tangent and yet somehow it was all woven together in a way that just made sense--it's definitely the least predictable book I've read in a long time.

And I'm not sure what else I can say about it really. Sometimes the more I love a book, the less I have to say about it because my words don't seem to be enough, this is one of those times (probably a good thing too, as my tendency to ramble is annoying).

I'd rate the book 5 stars out of 5, and I'll definitely read anything else Leslye Walton writes (literally anything, she could probably write the phonebook and make it amazing).

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED that book! Strange and beautiful, indeed. Originally, I'd been hooked by the title alone, and then the book definitely lived up to my hopes for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was ever a book to take a chance on, that you look at and think, 'This might not be for me,' but you wonder--stop wondering. Pick this up, and you'll be so glad you did.

    Marlene
    Top rated Fishing Lodge Alaska Sitka AK

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.