Sunday, 2 November 2014

Weekly Wrap-Up (17)

On the Blog
Tuesday: Lanna read GONE GIRL so she could see the movie

Julie

Book Haul



...Oy.


Angel of Vengeance by Ana Siljnak (hardcover purchased at Strand)
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff (finished copy from Ksenia)
Skandal by Lindsay Smith (ARC from publisher)
The Boy Next Door by Katie Von Ark (ARC from publisher)
Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen (ARC from publisher)
Finding Mr. Brightside by Jay Clark (ARC from publisher)
Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier (egalley via Netgalley)
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios (egalley via Netgalley)
The Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick (egalley via Netgalley)
An Unlikely Warrior by Georg Rauch (egalley via Netgalley)
99 Days by Katie Cotugno (egalley via Edelweiss) 
Invincible by Amy Reed (egalley via Edelweiss)


Forgotten from Previous Weeks:
Grace's Guide by Grace Helbig (given finished copy at launch event at YouTube space)
The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord (ARC from publisher)


Angel of Vengeance is this story about a woman involved in VERY early stages of the Russian Revolution who assassinated a major figure and her story. I sat down in Strand while browsing, found it was a hardcover in good condition for $6, and began reading. 


If you follow other bloggers, you've probably noticed an influx in Macmillan titles as the Winter mailing goes out. WELL, I'd been having issues with my apartment's buzzer, so even when we were home (which is rare during "normal" hours anyway), we wouldn't know someone was trying to deliver something. I figured I'd save Ksenia the trouble and just pick them up from her since I'm near her office pretty regularly and we meet sometimes...then we reached this spell of me not getting down there/poor timing. BUT FINALLY this week I was able to see her and chat and pick up books, which also meant I could go through and see what I wanted from Netgalley (I offered that I'm happy to read from Netgalley, especially as I'm autoapproved). So, SUDDEN DOWNPOUR OF BOOKS.

I WOULD like to note that Unlikely Warrior is a book I first heard about in a meeting when I interned at Macmillan over the spring and it sounds absolutely amazing. It's a memoir about a half-Jewish Austrian man who gets drafted into Hitler's army. MY INNER HISTORY GEEK IS FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS BOOK GUYS.


Then I got home on Halloween and found Harper has begun uploading it's spring/summer books and I'm ALL ABOUT THAT.


Books Read


The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior by Megan Frampton 
The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

Last Sunday, I was a WEE bit stressed out, so I was meant to be prepping for my midterms the next day, and sat down and Megan Frampton's book cover to cover with one small interruption. I completely adored it and will happily be reading her other books.

The Walled City I picked up because it tied in to the NaNoWriMo idea I had, so it was part research, part it comes out next week.
 
Upcoming Reads


I...don't know? There probably won't be much reading this week so....

Odds and Ends 

As mentioned, I'm doing NaNoWriMo again this year! My internship ends in two weeks, so barring a sudden MASSIVE increase in freelance work (which, reminder, I am a freelance editor at True Blue Editorial if you need!), I'm going to have a LOT of free time and there's only so much studying I can do. So, maybe I'll actually win this year? WE SHALL SEE.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Grace's Guide looks pretty good -- I am not the best expert on adulting, lol so it appeals to me.

    Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.