Monday, 26 January 2015

Captive by A.J. Grainger

Captive
by A.J. Grainger


Summary: I open my eyes. The cell is flooded with sunlight; the window is a slice of pale blue. Dust particles dance in the sparkling light, pirouetting in a golden line from the window to the opposite wall of the cell, where they seem to converge into shapes. It is like looking into a kaleidoscope.

Dad isn't here. No one is, but me.

Robyn Knollys-Green is an A-list celebrity, famous for being the daughter of one of the world's most powerful men. But not even the paparazzi can find her now.

Robyn begins to realise that she is trapped in a complicated web of global corruption and deceit - and that the strange, melancholy boy who has been tasked with guarding her might not be an enemy after all . . .
So... One of my favourite books is Stolen by Lucy Christopher. Ever since I read that book, I've been searching for another book about kidnapping that could get under my skin just as much as Stolen did but no other book has come close. Until now that is.

I really, really loved Captive. It wasn't perfect and I'm not sure how realistic the political stuff was (there were definitely some things that did require suspension of disbelief about the kidnapping side of things, particularly in the last half of the book), but it hooked me from the very first page and I didn't want to put it down so any flaws just didn't seem to matter while I was reading it.

I loved the plot and the characters. It really made me care about Robyn and her family and Talon, and I loved the way the relationships in the book were written, especially her relationship with Talon...it's not easy to write a relationship forming in those circumstances and make it seem genuine instead of being just case of Stockholm Syndrome, but the author managed it really well.

I'd rate the book 4.5 stars out of 5. It was awesome and addictive and totally got under my skin. I'll definitely be checking out whatever A.J. Grainger writes next.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering but if you loved it more than one of your favorite books is there a reason it's not 5 stars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I didn't love it more than one of my favourite books?

      I guess I should've worded it better. When I said "no book has come close until now" I meant that it's the first book to come close to how much I loved Stolen (not surpass it) and is one of the first with this subject matter to not be a disappointment when measured against Stolen. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.