Saturday, 17 January 2015

Code Name Verity Audiobook Review

Code Name Verity
by Elizabeth Wein
read by Morven Christie & Lucy Gaskell


Summary: Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy? 
I haven't listened to many audiobooks before. Actually, this is only the second one I can think of, so I don't have much to compare it to but still, I really, really enjoyed it.

I read the book ages ago and loved it (it'd be sitting on my all time favourites shelf right now if I hadn't finally pestered my best friend into reading it), and this was my alternative to re-reading it. Listening to the audiobook still had me caught up in the story, it still made me cry like a baby at the end, so I'd say they did a good job with it.

I really liked the people they had reading the book, particularly in the first part (maybe because she would switch between a posh accent, to a Scottish accent, to a German one flawlessly).

I'm not sure what else to say about it really. If you haven't read Code Name Verity before, then I really, really recommend you do something about that because it's heartbreaking and fantastic. And if you like audiobooks -- or aren't sure if you like them -- this is a good one to check out.

The only thing I'd say is that I think this may be a story that is better read before listening to it, because there's something in the first part of the book that you have to see and it can't really translate into audio form (anyone familiar with the story will know what I mean). You can still enjoy the story and characters just as much, you'd just miss out on some little details.

Anyway, I'd rate the book 5 out of 5 stars overall (still) and I'd rate the audiobook 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.