Friday, 30 January 2015

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward

Stepbrother Dearest
by Penelope Ward

Summary:  You’re not supposed to want the one who torments you.

When my stepbrother, Elec, came to live with us my senior year, I wasn’t prepared for how much of a jerk he’d be.

I hated that he took it out on me because he didn’t want to be here.
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room.
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him.

At first, I thought all he had going for him were his rock-hard tattooed abs and chiseled face. Then, things started changing between us, and it all came to a head one night.

Just as quickly as he’d come into my life, he was gone back to California.

It had been years since I’d seen Elec.

When tragedy struck our family, I’d have to face him again.

And holy hell, the teenager who made me crazy was now a man that drove me insane.

I had a feeling my heart was about to get broken again.
I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The cover, the summary... it sounded like it would just be one of those kind of mediocre, trashy guilty pleasure reads. And it was in some ways, but it was actually really entertaining too.

I wanted to read it because I'd seen positive reviews of it, then when I checked out the summary it reminded me of a story I used to love from fictionpress (which has finally been released as an e-book). I went it to it expecting to be disappointed but hoping I wouldn't be. And I wasn't.

The characters, I actually ended up really caring about them and rooting for them, and once I started reading the book I didn't want to put it down. I also liked that the author didn't make Greta too catty -- she didn't vilify the other girls that were interested in/involved with Elec and that made me like Greta a lot...and she was a nice person, seemed kind of awkward but wasn't afraid to stand up for herself or people she cared about.

The plot was pretty weird, but if you can handle soap opera-ish plot twists and a whole lot of angst then it's fine. One of my only big issues with the book was the writing -- it was just... it was bad at times, mediocre at others. I wouldn't describe any of the writing as particularly good, but after the beginning of the story I didn't notice it much (I don't think it improved really, I had just got so caught up in the story).

I'd rate the book 3.5 stars out of 5. It was an addictive story that I didn't want to put down and it's a good read if you're looking for an angsty romance.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. So tempted by this one - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.