Friday, 27 February 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder
by Marissa Meyer


Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I didn't think I liked this book much until I was getting close to the end of it and realised just how invested I was in the story and the characters, then when I was finished I immediately wanted the sequels.

In the beginning, the book was good but it's one of those ones that I had no trouble putting down and forgetting about for days -- I'm not sure when that changed really, but liking it totally crept up on me and I don't know if it was like that for everyone, but I totally understand the hype now.

The plot got a little bit predictable with certain twists and I don't know if they were meant to be as obvious as they were, but when you've figured out something about a character as soon as there's a mention of them in the story and then have to wait until the end for the official reveal, it can be frustrating...but, it was still enjoyable in spite of that.

The characters were awesome though, they were my favourite part of the story. Cinder was a great protagonist and it was so easy to root for her and to feel angry at the way she was treated (and I really loved how the whole cyborg thing was done, and the fact that she's a mechanic and that the Cinderella aspect of it didn't change who she was)...and Kai, Kai was lovely and I loved the android characters too. Adri, her step-mum...her I just loved to hate and I hope there's a scene in one of the sequels where she realises what an awful person she is and regrets it all.

I don't think I have anything else to say about the book really...as far as retelling's go, this is a good one and it lived up to all the hype there was about it (the hype was the main reason it took me this long to read it, so often that leaves me disappointed).

I'd rate the book 4 stars out of 5 and I can't wait to get to the sequels.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.