Sunday, 29 March 2015

Weekly Wrap Up (32)

On the Blog:


Lanna:
Even though I've not been posting much I have actually been reading more these past few weeks, it's just that I can't review post reviews for all of them for three reasons:

1) Some are ARC's that need to be reviewed closer to their release dates
2) Some I've been saving to group together in one post (more on that below)
3) and one of them was a free e-book that I read without realising who the author was but now that I do know, I will not be reviewing it (author is a bully who has done some dodgy sneaky stuff, so not only do I not want to promote someone like that but it wouldn't feel safe to review honestly either).

So...yeah. Been reading, you should see the reviews up over the next few months. Now, onto the new books.

Book haul

For review:


Girl at War by Sara Novic (netgalley) - I started this one late last night and will try to finish it tonight. It's about a girl who was living in Yugoslavia when the civil war broke out - I wanted to read it as soon as I found that out, because I've been looking for more books about that for years.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - This is the 150th anniversary edition and it's lovely (picture doesn't do it justice -- the white bit is matte, the picture is pretty foil). I'm aiming to review it next week? We'll see.

Bought:


These are the Penguin Little Black Classics (numbers: 1, 18, 24, 44, and 77). There's 80 of them (released for the 80th anniversary of Penguin Books, 80p each), I got these five to start with. They're adorable. These are the ones I'm saving to do a post on.


The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
To the Lighthouse and The Waves by Virginia Woolf

Because every so often I go through a phase of "MUST READ ALL THE CLASSICS!!!" and these were the ones that sparked my interest this time. I need to read these this year and not do my usual thing with classics where I have every intention of reading them but just keep putting it off.

And I think that's all?

Later.

Julie:                                                                                                                                                         

Book Haul
 
It's been...a while since I've done one of these. I'm definitely going to miss books, but hopefully not too many? I'm also not going to link/explain them because...it's a lot.

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Jessie's Girl by Miranda Kenneally
Loop by Karen Akins
The Tragic Age by Stephen Metcalf
The Book of Speculation by Erica Swyler
How to Say I Love You Out Loud by Karole Cozzo
Second Position by Katherine Locke
Double Exposure by Bridget Birdsall
Pandemic by Yvonne Ventresca
When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill
Two of Hearts by Christina Lee
The Highlander Takes a Bride by Lynsay Sands
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Fairest by Marissa Meyer
The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
Revenge, Ice Cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold by Katie Finn

I think that covers most of them that aren't school related, if not all of them.

Books Read
 
On the other hand, I haven't been reading much lately - or, I guess not finishing much. I have quite a bit of school reading this semester and I'll get enough of the way into the titles to talk about them, run out of time before my class, then the class passes and I stop, even the YA ones, because there's no reason to continue. I'm hoping to work on that in the next two weeks when I'm finally on spring break (it starts late this week and goes into next week. I don't get 2 whole weeks off).

She Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath
Loop by Karen Akins
The Highlander Takes a Bride by Lynsay Sands
Written in the Stars in Aisha Saeed
Beautiful Secret by Christina Lauren
All the Rage by Courtney Summers
Holes by Lois Sachar

And that's all that I have 100% finished in the past month. And then...

Upcoming Reads/Currently Reading

Oi...this list.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Book of Speculation by Erica Swyler
Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Deadly Design by Debra Dockter

I'm most of the way through Book of Speculation and Aristotle & Dante, so I shouldn't have an issue finishing at least one of those. I'm also 1/4 of the way through Simon, which is helpful, and Eleanor & Park is a reread for my class tomorrow night. I'm probably not going to make it all the way through, but at least this time, it is a reread and I know what happens anyway. So, I'm only *really* trying to read one book this week, because the three I'm already most of the way through probably add up to the equivalent of one book and E&P I've read.

I have a goal of reading a book a week over my break this semester. We'll see how that goes. 

Odds and Ends

It's been an extremely busy/exhausting few weeks here! I got a rather nasty cold, I was smack in the middle of midterms, and as of this past week, I'm trying to get in extra work because I'll be out for 3 days because of spring break. In fact, on Friday, I went from class to a linguistics lecture to my apartment for a quick lunch, to my internship, to dinner, to working an event for McNally Jackson. But I think that's the end of the worst of the crazy busy! I have one exam (where we get a cheat sheet and have the questions already) and I have one oral exam (3 straight minutes of Spanish with no notes!), but then I'm free for a week and a half! And then final crunch time/finishing study abroad applications/planning the next year of my life commence. Also, moving out of my apartment and BEA. That's all coming up too. I'm trying to pretend it's all imaginary. Why must everything happen at once, though?

How's everyone else doing?

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. Awesome stack of books this week. I understand why you don't want to review someone who has done shady behavior. Hope you love all your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot's of good looking books this week.

    I hope you enjoy :) Happy Reading!

    Here's my Weekly Wrap Up

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.