So the topic this week is top ten inspiring quotes (it did say "anything that inspires you, challenges you, makes you think, encourages you, etc.").
The ones I've chosen are not all inspiring in the same way -- some it's because of what they're saying or because they put into words things I've felt before but couldn't express, some purely because it's beautiful writing and made me wish I could write even half as well.
1. “Be careful what you show the world. You never know when the wolf is watching.” ― Jennifer Donnelly, Revolution
2. “Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” ― Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting
3. “Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.” ― Melina Marchetta, Finnikin of the Rock
4. “My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.” ― Jandy Nelson, The Sky is Everywhere
5. “I wish you could tell me where you are now. I mean, I know you’re dead, but I think there must be something in a human being that can’t just disappear. It’s dark out. You’re out there. Somewhere, somewhere. I’d like to let you in.” ― Ava Dellaira, Love Letters to the Dead
6. “There comes a point when you just love someone. Not because they're good, or bad, or anything really. You just love them. It doesn't mean you'll be together forever. It doesn't mean you won't hurt each other. It just mean you love them. Sometimes in spite of who they are, and sometimes because of who they are. And you know that they love you, sometimes because of who you are, and sometimes in spite of it.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton, Incubus Dreams
7. “Maybe when people longed for a thing that bad the longing made them trust in anything that might give it to them.” ― Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
8. “I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what’s on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.” ― Cath Crowley, Graffiti Moon
9. “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.” ― John Green, Paper Towns
10. “I know these will all be stories some day, and our pictures will become old photographs. We all become somebody’s mom or dad. But right now, these moments are not stories. This is happening. I am here, and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive. And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you’re listening to that song, and that drive with the people who you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear, we are infinite.” ― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
I have pretty odd taste in "inspiring" quotes... it seems a lot of my favourite quotes are about grief and life and what it is that makes us who we are and how we are and they're rarely those upbeat, optimistic kind of quotes -- but the theme did say it could be quotes that make us think, so I guess they still count even if they're not all encouraging and happy.