Friday, 22 May 2015

Audiobook: Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Yes Please
by Amy Poehler

Summary: In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by.
I want to preface this review by saying that 1) this is not the type of book I normally read -- memoirs just aren't my thing, and 2) I haven't actually seen much of Amy's work (aside from Mean Girls and some clips I've seen here and there of her hosting events or funny sketches).

With that context, you'd think I wouldn't have loved this book. I mean, not being particularly familiar with her shows should've made hearing her talk about them and how she got to where she is should have made it boring to me... But it wasn't, and I did love the book. Really loved it.

I should also clarify though that I think it was listening to the book--as opposed to reading it--that really made me love it. Had I simply read it, I think there are parts I would've struggled through. The book itself was good, with some brilliant moments, but her narration brought it to another level.

I laughed out loud many times reading it (as you'd expect, given who she is), but it also tugged at my heartstrings at a few surprising moments too. It was honest and relatable, and it kept me so hooked that I listened to the entire thing in two days (I have a very short attention span when it comes to listening to audiobooks, so that's quite impressive).

Like I said, memoirs aren't normally my kind of thing, but it was weirdly fascinating to lose myself in someone else's real life thoughts and nostalgia for a few hours -- especially when that someone is Amy Poehler.

I went into this not knowing much about Amy beyond the fact that she's funny, a feminist, stars in that show I never watched and is friends with Tina Fey. By the end, I'd added her shows to my watch list because she's fabulous.

Anyway, that's all I have to say really. The book was awesome and I finished it a little bit in love with Amy Poehler and her humour and honesty. I'd rate the book 5 stars out of 5 (in large part down to her performance of the audiobook).

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.