Wednesday, 20 May 2015

It's About Love by Steven Camden

It's About Love
by Steven Camden


Summary: He's Luke. She's Leia.

Just like in Star Wars. Just like they’re made for each other. Same film studies course, different backgrounds, different ends of town.

Only this isn't a film. This is real life. This is where monsters from the past come back to take revenge. This is where you are sometimes the monster.

But real life? Sometimes, only sometimes, it turns out just like in the movies…maybe.
This is not the kind of book I would've ever picked up on my own, but I am glad I was sent a copy to review and I'm happy I read it. The book was good -- I didn't love the story, but I did really love the writing. Steven Camden has a great writing style, so I'd definitely check out other books by him thanks to this one.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the book really. I didn't like the main character much -- he had his moments, and his friends made me laugh, but he was pretty annoying a lot of the time too, especially where Leia was concerned.

Actually, that was probably the weakest part of the book for me -- Leia. I don't think she was very fleshed out as a character, it was like she was just there. She was given a story in the book but never given the chance to tell it...we find out her issues through someone else, some insignificant side character that's only in a handful of pages. And Luke...he was ridiculous where she was concerned, way too obsessed, and he was behaving like a jealous (asshat) boyfriend when they'd just met each other. I did like their shared passion for film but beyond that nothing clicked.

I think that's what kept me from liking the book more than I did. I loved the stuff with Luke's older brother, seeing the impact it's had on him and how their relationship changed. His brother was my favourite character after his two best friends.

The only thing I really hated about the book was the fact that characters kept calling him "Lukey" (petty thing to dislike, I'm aware, but my best male friend is called Luke and it's the kind of nickname you'd give a 5 year old, not someone who is 16/17).

The reason I say the book is just good and not great is that, while it did keep me pretty hooked from start to finish, I know it's one of those books I won't remember much about. I'll probably forget the story, forget the characters, but I will remember the writing.

I think that's all I have to say about the book really, I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5. It was a good book -- romance fell a little flat, but the writing and some of the other stuff in the book made up for it.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.