Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Top Ten Books I Don't Want to Read But Probably Will Anyway

Yes, I'm posting my Top Ten Tuesday on a Monday, but I have a blog tour review to go up tomorrow. We get to choose our own topic this week, so I've gone with books I don't really want to read but I probably will end up reading them anyway.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but there are times when I'll see a book and it just doesn't appeal to me (e.g. haven't liked authors previous books, or the summary is bad, or it sounds boring, etc.) and yet I end up adding it to my To Read list anyway because I keep seeing other people say it's good.

I mean still don't genuinely want to read the book... but I probably will anyway for no other reason than other people keep saying it's good and I want to see what all the fuss is about.

That's what these books are. I read the summaries, had no desire to read them. And then someone recommended them. Then someone else recommended them. And then someone else... To the point where I was just like, "FINE! I'll read the damn book!"

1. The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord 

Why: The summary just did nothing for me. It lost me at the mention of dead boyfriend (zero desire to read those stories). Then it talked about her shutting out the world and how she'd pursue her long time crush but then another guy enters the picture and just... Not one thing about it appealed to me, because we're usually stuck with a character pining after the wrong guy for many a chapter when we know predictably who she'll end up with and it's frustrating. So yeah, did not want. But then, everyone is saying how amazing it is, so now -- sort of want?

2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Why: I have reasons for not wanting to read books by the author, but beyond that, I tend to avoid books set in Scotland as much as I can (unless they're by Scottish authors, but even then...). Authors trying to phonetically write our accents angers me so much, and it's weird reading romance novels that fetishize Scottish men. Plus, the book is ridiculously long, probably way longer and more wordy than necessary. But, the show is good and everyone keeps recommending the books. I don't want to read it, but yeah...

3. Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
Why: This is another one where the dreaded phonetically written accents pet peeve rears its ugly head again (why? why? WHY? I don't get why any author would ever think it's a good idea, it's just beyond irritating). I'm not sure if there were other things that gave me an aversion to reading this beyond that, but I'm not sure I've seen a bad review of it. Actually, the reviews tend to be glowing.

4. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Why: Everyone gushed about the first book, saying it was fantastic, but I found it dull at worst, average at best (movie was better). So it's a mixture of my own opinions of the first book and distrust of the praise this one received...and yet, people say it's better than the first book...so if the first book was average to me, maybe this one will be good? Maybe? Possibly?

5. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Why: This isn't a book I'd choose for myself, it doesn't sound interesting to me and I'm not sure why. But one of my best friends wanted me to read it, because it's his favourite book. And then I saw a 4 star review of it by someone on my goodreads.

6. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Why: I don't even know, I just don't want to read it. But I've seen so many good reviews, some of which are from people whose judgement I trust, and I want to know what the fuss is about.

7. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Why: Just didn't appeal to me, I didn't like the Hollywood aspect, or the post-apocalyptic quality the summary seemed to describe (I'm so burned out with that and the dystopia genre)...and yet it has both of those things and combines them with two other things I'm not into -- alternating POV's and jumping between the past and present. But the reviews are so, so good. Gah!

8. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
Why: I don't know why, but I've just never seen any of his books and felt the desire to read it. But he passed away not too long ago, and people kept recommending his books and I guess I wanted to see if it was because they felt like they should or because his books really are that good. This was one I saw recommended a few times, it's not one I'd choose to read on my own, but I'll probably read it at some point.

9. Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynn Jones
Why: Basically the same thing as above... only I've seen the movie too and it didn't make me want to read the book, so there's that added layer of reluctance. I own the book though, I've had it for a few years...still not read it. But I will. Probably. Just to see if I agree with the praise.

10. Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuenhert
Why: Books about drug use are on the list of books I avoid (books that happen to have drug use in them? fair enough, but books about it that seem like they might be "issue books"? no). But I've heard only good things about it, so I finally got it. Still going into it reluctantly and with low expectations, and slightly annoyed that I caved.

Am I alone in this? The whole reading books I don't want to read thing, purely because of good reviews?

Later.

14 comments:

  1. I do this too!! I hadn't really even thought about it, but yeah, I totally read books I'd planned to skip because people have convinced me otherwise. XD In fact, I think it was last TTT (?! lol I can't remember) I said I didn't want to read Forbidden but everyone ASSURED me it was so incredible and now look who's going to read it?! XD Peer pressure..yup. It's real. (But not always bad! I've found some gems this way!)
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've found some hidden gems this way too -- that's probably why I allow myself to be swayed into reading books I don't really want to read.

      If you mean Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, I love that book, it's so heartbreaking and it's one of those books that really makes you think about the subject matter and where you stand on the issues in real life. Hopefully you'll love it too. =P

      Delete
  2. Outlander didn't wow me. Just another big (make that "BIG!") romance novel.

    Here's mine: Best Moving-and-Starting-Over Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is one of those times when the show is actually better than the books then. Outlander is probably one of the ones I'm most reluctant to read from the list.

      Delete
  3. I was actually underwhelmed with The Start of Me and You, I know a lot of people loved it and while I thought it was good, it disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you said that!

      I mean, not that the book disappointed you--that sucks--but hearing that feels like I can let myself off the hook with that one. =P

      Delete
  4. Nice list! I think if you're really not into reading these books and you know you probably won't like them then go with your instincts. I read TFIOS knowing I wouldn't like it just because everyone was recommending it and I wish I hadn't read it and spent the time reading something I actually knew I'd like.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/top-ten-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just always so torn, because I've read books before that weren't my kind of thing and ended up loving them (a few of my all time favourite books were like that), so I keep thinking it could be the same with other books too. =P

      Delete
  5. Interesting topic for this week!! Outlander is awesome!! Diana Gabaldon is an amazing writer.

    Here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-sexy-male-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the Howl's Moving Castle movie is very different to the book! E.g. loads of Welsh-based stuff gets cut out, and some of the logic too. I enjoy both, but I wouldn't worry if you didn't enjoy the movie that much.

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not even that I didn't enjoy the movie, it's just...well, it didn't make me want to read the book. Neither seemed to be the kind of thing I'd normally go for, I only watched/intend to read them based on recommendation. =P

      Delete
  7. I think it just lost the comment I was trying to make, gah. Anyway, I was just saying that Howl's Moving Castle is very different between the book and the movie. There's a lot more background in the book, including a bunch of Welsh references. I like both, but they're very different.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outlander wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either...it was mostly just far too long. 300 pages easily could have been deleted without hurting the story. I actually listened to the audiobook - and that was a stunning 26 cds! I do, however, highly recommend Rebecca! Have you ever seen the movie - I watched it first and was surprised that the big twist is different in the movie compared to the book. Both the book and the movie are great though! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually have the Outlander audiobook, the whole thing seems like it'll be a chore to get through. =P

      I've not seen the movie, I'm not sure if it would be better to read the book first or not (in general, I tend to be firmly in the book first camp, but it's different with classics). :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.