Monday, 11 May 2015

Tracked by Jenny Martin

Tracked
Jenny Martin
Dial Books
[May 5, 2015]
egalley via publisher


The Fast and the Furious gets a futuristic twist in this action-packed debut!

On corporately controlled Castra, rally racing is a high-stakes game that seventeen-year-old Phoebe Van Zant knows all too well. Phee’s legendary racer father disappeared mysteriously, but that hasn't stopped her from speeding headlong into trouble. When she and her best friend, Bear, attract the attention of Charles Benroyal, they are blackmailed into racing for Benroyal Corp, a company that represents everything Phee detests. Worse, Phee risks losing Bear as she falls for Cash, her charming new teammate. But when she discovers that Benroyal is controlling more than a corporation, Phee realizes she has a much bigger role in Castra’s future than she could ever have imagined. It's up to Phee to take Benroyal down. But even with the help of her team, can a street-rat destroy an empire?
Oh man guys. This. Freaking. Book.

A friend of mine read this book and absolutely adored it. She insisted I read it ASAP and challenged me to tell her it wasn't amazing. I couldn't do that. It would've been a lie. 

I read TRACKED shortly after my last semester ended. It had been a ROUGH semester on me and reading was a hit or miss activity. Books needed a lot to hold my attention and I couldn't put this one down. I was tearing through the pages. With YA, you generally have a decent grasp of how a story will work out because we all love our happy endings, but I wasn't sure what a happy ending would really mean for Phee and I certainly had no clue how she would get to it. So I couldn't put the book down because it would mean not knowing for a longer amount of time and that was unacceptable.

I loved Phee. She was so genuine and loyal to herself and to those she loved. She was clever and badass. She just had this amazing energy to her that was magnetic for me as a reader. I could read a million stories about Phee - prequels, sequels, alternate universes, I'll read them.

I also loved how skillfully Jenny Martin handled the relationships in this one. You guys know I'm a sucker for characters and relationships and this one had both in abundance. I fell in love with Cash and he had amazing chemistry with Phee, but it was Bear and Phee's relationship that I loved to watch. It was complicated and messy and I was totally enamored with Bear - but kind of the way I was enamored with Gale. I don't wanna say too much more for spoilers, but man was it gorgeously built and Jenny really balanced the two relationships SO well. 

There was also the really intricate world building. It's a futuristic sci-fi, so it's going to inherently require a lot of work. Then Phee is also a race car driver and, let's be real, how many YA readers are car experts? So now Jenny has to teach us about this world and cars. And on top of that, there's a very delicate political balance that comes into play and Phee is completely stuck in this complicated system, but I was never confused. Everything made sense and was well paced. It just really blew my mind how well laid out this very complex world was, especially for a debut novel.

TRACKED hit all the right notes for me. Amazing main character, incredibly well built relationships, fantastic world building, and just the right amount of romance for the main character's personality. This debut was unpredictable, astounding, and has me pretty damn desperate for book 2 and everything else Jenny Martin puts out after.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.