Friday, 26 June 2015

Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Killer Instinct
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Cassie Hobbes has a gift for profiling people. Her talent has landed her a spot in an elite FBI program for teens with innate crime-solving abilities, and into some harrowing situations. After barely escaping a confrontation with an unbalanced killer obsessed with her mother’s murder, Cassie hopes she and the rest of the team can stick to solving cold cases from a distance.

But when victims of a brutal new serial killer start turning up, the Naturals are pulled into an active case that strikes too close to home: the killer is a perfect copycat of Dean’s incarcerated father—a man he’d do anything to forget. Forced deeper into a murderer’s psyche than ever before, will the Naturals be able to outsmart the enigmatic killer’s brutal mind games before this copycat twists them into his web for good? 
I really enjoyed the first book in the series -- it didn't really do anything special, anything that hadn't already been done before, but it was entertaining. This one was more of the same really. I actually picked up this book because I wanted something I knew I would enjoy (to snap me out of a reading slump). It didn't disappoint, and for that reason I kind of loved it.

That's the thing about Jennifer's books for me... I've yet to read one I don't like, they're always fast paced, quick, entertaining reads. Even the ones that don't end up on my list of favourites are still consistently good.

I think I liked this book more than the first. It had more of the same stuff I enjoyed the first time round, the stuff that hooked me, plus we got to know more about the back stories of the side characters, more relationship development and I liked that a lot...and it left me really excited for the next book, because while this one had its own story arc, it also set some good groundwork for the next one and leaves me optimistic that it'll bring something different to the table.

Oh, and, has to be mentioned: I really like the way she writes love triangles and romance in general. She manages to have it be present in the book without ever feeling like its dominating the story, and she can write love triangles that have me genuinely torn over who to root for (which is annoyingly rare in YA love triangles).

Really, the only thing I didn't like was that the murder investigation was kind of predictable. You figure out the twists and who the bad guy is long before any of the characters do and you have to sit there as they go through all these red herrings before getting to the right path. Still entertaining, but a wee bit frustrating too.

I wouldn't recommend these books to people who read a lot of this genre, because they'll probably be a lot more bothered by the tropes and predictability than I was, but because I don't read many books like this? They're fun, I like them a lot.

I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.