Monday, 22 June 2015

Wait for You by J. Lynn

Wait for You
by J. Lynn


Summary: Some things are worth waiting for. Some things are worth experiencing. And some things are worth fighting for...

Avery knows she should stay away from Cam Hamilton: he might be the hottest guy on campus but she really doesn’t need that sort of drama right now. Love is best left in the past – along with her troubles. But sometimes, the last thing you want, is just the thing you need...
I expected to love this book, because the reviews I'd seen were mostly glowing and my past experience with Jennifer's books have been positive. And I did like it...but not nearly as much as I thought I was going to.

I can't really pin point what stopped me loving it really. Maybe it was just that the whole thing was kind of predictable and cliche, there wasn't really much in it that I hadn't read countless times before... I did get caught up in the romance, and I enjoyed it while I was reading it but it's one of those books that you just know they're not going to linger with you (at least, that's the way it was for me).

I mostly liked the characters. Avery could be frustrating, because the stuff with her past felt too drawn out -- it was understandable, but it just got to the point where I wanted to scream "USE YOUR WORDS!!!" at the book... But then, contrary as it may be, I also got frustrated by some other characters pressuring her to talk about something she clearly wasn't ready to talk about, and making it about not trusting them when really, you can trust someone 100% and just not be ready to talk about bad things that happened to you.

Cameron and Avery... *Sigh* I don't know what to say. On one hand, I loved them together and I was totally rooting for them to get together, and I lovelovelove that their relationship did start out as a sort of friendship before becoming more.

But, I had some issues with it too (see the trust thing above)... Like Cameron being one of those reformed player cliches -- which doesn't bother me too much, except that he was one of the ones that pulled the You're Not Like Other Girls card that makes my inner feminist side-eye his character so much (if he had worded it "It's different with you" then that would've been better, but he said that she is different). There were a couple of other issues like that (like constantly asking her out when she keeps saying no -- it might seem cute in the context of the book, but it's one of those things that are a big problem in reality...guys thinking "no" is synonymous with "convince me" so it's not great reading it romanticised in literature).

Avery's friends irritated me too. They did have moments when I liked them, but they were mostly kind of over the top and annoying and very immature (and I felt like I'd read characters exactly like them a hundred times before).

This review is seeming really negative, but I did actually like the book and fully intend to read the rest of the series (and any other books by the author I can find)... Most of my issues bothered me more in hindsight than they did while I was reading, the main problem was that it's kind of forgettable but there's nothing inherently wrong with that because it kept me entertained for a few hours.

...Anyway, enough rambling. I'd rate the book 3.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.