Thursday, 9 July 2015

Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger

Lying Out Loud
by Kody Keplinger


Summary: Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go.

Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with - secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.

Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand - a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.

But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually 'like' him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy?
Louis, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship... 


Basically, I loved this book. So much of the book had me laughing and smiling, even on the verge of tears at certain parts -- it kicked me right in the feels is what I'm trying to say, ALL of the feels!

I was thoroughly hooked. And I may of stayed up all night just to read it in one sitting. Maybe. Possibly. Yes, yes I did. I regret nothing.

I've been talking on the blog recently about a lack of good female friendships in books, and then I read this one and a good female friendship was one of the main things the story focussed on and it was just -- fkdjhglkjhf. I loved that. The friendship between Sonny and Amy was far from perfect, but not all friendships are perfect and they had excellent BFF-chemistry -- I adored that aspect so much.

Sonny... Well, she was interesting. She was funny, she was frustrating, and I really liked her in spite of all her flaws. She's one of those characters that has you going "Don't do the thing. Oh god, you're going to do the thing aren't you. Why are you doing the thing?! No, that is literally the opposite of what you should do right now--WHY ARE YOU STILL DOING THE THING!? WILL YOU DESIST!" and yet you can't help but root for her anyway and feel so happy when things work out.

And the romance. I really, really liked it. My only issue there was that I wasn't a big fan of where it ended... I wanted to see more of it. Which, I suppose, is a good sign. I wanted to see more of Sonny and Ryder, because they were funny and they were cute and I loved their banter (and I especially loved that they didn't dissolve into quivering balls of mush the instant they developed feelings for each other -- that happens way too often in hate-turns-to-love romances, I like it when the teasing banter remains).

The only thing about the book that I actually didn't like much was the cameos. Wesley and Bianca made sense because Amy is Wesley's sister, so I liked that part...but the others seemed a little too contrived. I prefer when those kinds of cameos are subtle, just little details that only big fans of the other books would pick up on. But, they didn't take up that much of the book anyway...

So, really, there wasn't much about the book that I didn't enjoy.

...I think I've fangirled enough for one review. I'd rate the book 4.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this one! I really want to hurry up and read The DUFF and this book as well. They seem fantastic! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.